Nakago Length

Hello all, occasionally when i see blades that have been shortened the Nakago sometimes look extremely short compared to the blade length and ive been curious for a while about if there is a minimum length for blade function, balance and safety? All the best for the new year.

Greg

• Like 1

Not my field but when I bought my katana from James NMB I specified an ubu blade - a beautiful acquisition

It was because I wanted to see the blade as the maker intended

One of the recomendations from the board is to view the whole blade to see if the proportions are pleasing to the eye

So I would suggest the nakago suites the blade so differing types have different nakago lengths - it just looks right

• Like 1

Hi Grev i totally agree when a blade is ubu that the Nakago suits the blade.

I thought maybe someone will know if there is a minimum ratio of blade/nakago.

Nakago on a few old blades just look almost too short in terms of effective and safe function and balance.

All the best.

Greg

Hi Greg,

I don't know of a minimum ratio but perhaps the o-suriage blades with unusually short nakago were broken above the machi or at the mekugi-ana and the stubby nakago is a result of an attempt to preserve as much as possible of the length.

Grey

• Like 2

Greg, I should have added in my last post that simply the way tsuka is grasped will also determine the appropriate length. Some ryuha have both hands touching, others have a definite space between the hands, & still others have the pinky of the left hand actually wrapped around the kashira. And of course, as Steve says, the size of the user's hands is a big factor, too.

One more thing is that I have one Muromachi sword where the nakago is significantly shorter than the tsuka, like by three or four inches, & my educated guess is that whoever owned it back then wanted a tsuka to fit his hands, but only had the katana-length blade with an o-suriage nakago. Not real good from a safety standpoint, but that evidently wasn't much of a consideration in Sengoku Jidai.

Ken

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..