What Is The Best Ww2 Sword To Collect

barnejp

Characteristics of the best WWII sword:

traditionally made by hand using traditional materials

excellent condition - great polish, no kizu of any sort

signed and dated by a recognised highly rated smith - his best work

if the smith is deceased the blade should be papered by NBTHK hozon or tokubetsu hozon

first quality mounts also in great condition

Bonus - original general's tassel with provenance

Failing the above go for either Yasakuni shrine smith, Minatogawa jinja smith or Star stamped blade - all traditionally made and within reach.

• Like 2

Barry,

I like Barry's list, but on the other hand, it can depend on one's interest and budget. There are guys who specialize in NCO gunto, some Navy, some gendaito, etc. I went for a collection that is a fair representation of each of the official "types" of war gunto.

A Yaskune Shrine sword with river stamp would be really cool, with general officer tassel, but I saw just a tassel for sale for $3,700! With sword, you might be paying over $6,000. For guys with limited fun-money, like me, I really love my Mantetsu Koa Isshin gunto and my copper-handled NCO!

In the end, you realize, you're not going to be able to get Just ONE! ;)

• Like 2

Hi Barnejp, lets go back to basics, ask ten collectors the same question, and you will probably get ten different answers. Its almost like asking some one what is their favourite movie to watch and thinking it is right for you.

The answer is probably, "what interests you", and then there comes price, quality and availability issues.

Even your question, how do you define "best"?, is it value, investment material, historical significance, study potential, rarity, provenance.....to be honest, got all the variants you mentioned, and would not call any one best. The ugliest and worst put together swords are the late war NCO's (sorry NCO fans!), but to me and many others are much loved and treasured. I get as much kick from an $800 NCO as I do from an $8000 GENERAL sword, with a 500 year old blade, general tassel, and provenance, that I have.

Its what ever "rocks your boat" at the time. Neil.

• Like 4

You are very correct....what is the meaning of best,,,perhaps a poor choice of the word. Better to ask "what is currently the most popular/sought after WW2 Japanese sword". I know recently a lot of Chinese collectors are paying big bucks for a mantetsu.

Characteristics of the best WWII sword:

traditionally made by hand using traditional materials

excellent condition - great polish, no kizu of any sort

signed and dated by a recognised highly rated smith - his best work

if the smith is deceased the blade should be papered by NBTHK hozon or tokubetsu hozon

first quality mounts also in great condition

Bonus - original general's tassel with provenance

Failing the above go for either Yasakuni shrine smith, Minatogawa jinja smith or Star stamped blade - all traditionally made and within reach.

Barry's list is correct. But one collectors live didn't take so long to find such a sword to buy. And if you found it, you must spent all your money to get these one.  :Drool:

Happy hunting!

Hello Greg,

Of all the WW2 era swords ( made in Japan or in Japanese territory 1939 -1945 ) the Mantetsu is hard to beat....My opinion of course ! But what a sword ! Old swords especially Koto have a kind of ' magic ' feel to them...well balanced and light in the hand...but the Mantetsu means business,may feel a little heavy but it's tough and holds a wicked edge...the equivalent of that famous U.S 12 gauge you reach for in times of trouble!...Only my opinion but the Mantetsu 'does what it says on the box'...Look around and you will get a Mantetsu cheaper than a NCO's sword....I like all Japanese swords but have never failed to be impressed by these blades...

Regards,

Paul..

• Like 2

Hi Greg, the answers you have received so far would address your question if you asked "what is the best BLADE to collect", you asked what is the best SWORD. I collect "SWORDS" and the blades come with the swords. I recon the most collectable SWORDS to collect, are those with all original equipment, and provenance, ie a GENERAL or COLONEL, who the sword can be traced back to, and may have some historical significance. The blades in these SWORDS may be GENDAITO or centuries old. I would not swap either of these two pictured for a MANTETSU blade, no matter how sharp it is. Again, all a matter of opinion, you will get differing opinions from military collectors, or NIHONTO guys.

post-3858-0-76304200-1483237905_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-76485500-1483237918_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The Yasukuni-To are probably the most revered of the WW2 Japanese swords, followed by examples like above. In terms of WW2 history there are swords in the Australian War Memorial that were used in battle, found in the midget submarines used to attack Sydney and Famous Generals and Admirals swords that were surrendered. These are the most important for many reasons.

The Koa Isshin swords are certainly very interesting historically, but a regular grade shin-gunto that has nicks in it from battle damage and the story behind it are worth more to a historian.

Like most WW2 collectibles the value is in the history of the item, if it was used in a certain battle or famous person the value skyrockets.

Anyway, value is in the eye of the beholder ;)

• Like 2

The topic was to collect.  Not what is the best sword I think ?  Any are fine to collect I guess it boils down to what you want to collect.

This is a great forum but, it's geared more toward the Art sword side of the hobby.  This small sub forum for Military swords is where I spend my limited time here.   I wanted to just focus on WW2 period swords.

As far as collecting I focus on WW2 period mounting and blades.  I focus on NON damaged items and prefer items that show use and were carried in battle.

I really started to focus on Type3 mounting and have a few of those now. 

I would say one of each variant would be a nice place to start. 

One nice NCO.

One nice type 98

One nice Kai Gunto

This can be done fairly inexpensively or very depending on the variations you want to purchase.   All this is personal preference.  There is really no wrong collection.

• Like 3

Hello,

Good reply Wayne...Greg,don't know what the collecting situation is like in Canada so can only inform you of the current U.K market and what's to offer...Nco's swords are fetching more than ever and everyone's catching on fast...I only look at original unrestored and unmolested ones...£500 at the bigger sales like Birmingham a little less at the smaller sales and that's cash only..! No copper handled ones at any of the sales and the people I know who have them won't sell them...! Quite a few officers ones but they rarely have tassels....A nice officers type 98 with unsigned Shinto blade £1500 ...a really nice sword but it remained unsold at the end of the show...Standard type 98 with Seki blade were fetching around £550 ....Tassels on their own selling very well and they attract a lot of attention.... I took a sword with me to seek advice from a wise owl ,took the bag off and people were all over it like a rash when they seen the generals tassel !! Without confusing you more..set your budget,get the best original and unmolested example of either sword from a reputable source ( great buys on this forum but beware of that big Internet auction site that's very popular ) ...this way you won't be disappointed and you will be " bitten by the bug ".....Regards Paul..

Rally hard to say the"Best",but I agree with Bruce and PHSSOGUN.

For WW2 Japanese Gunto,it should be The Yasukuni sword given by Emperor 天皇御賜靖國刀。

Every year, the Top 6 graduate students(called 軍刀組 Gunto Team) from Army academy will recived the The Yasukuni sword from Emperor。Hideki Tojo was one of the elite gunto team student ,he got a  御賜靖國刀 from Emperor.

Trystan

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..