Seki Stamped Ww2 Sword

Dosh

So I believe I have recently come into posessoin of a WW2 Japanese sword, as the arsenal stamp on the tang appears to be the Seki one, though I am a bit unsure. I am a complete novice when it comes to swords in general so my only knowledge is what I have learned in the pat 4 hours or so. I have a gallery on imgur for easier browsing.

http://imgur.com/a/jTfXY

Hi Dosh,

Yes, Seki stamp and WWII era, but this is only half of the sword.  The working end was broken off and is lost, and a new point (kissaki) has been shaped on the end of what's left.  The temper in the kisaki (boshi) is gone.  This qualifies as a fatal flaw; the sword isn't worth much and can't be fixed.

Grey

Josh,

While the flaws may keep this from being as valuable, financially, as a blade in intact/original condition, you have something that is clearly a piece of history. Hopefully one of the guys who can do translation will let us know what the signature line says.

The canvas covering under the silk wrap on the handle indicates that this was made late in the war (at least the handle was, can't speak for the blade itself). The all-brown officer rank tassel matches, as this style was adopted late in the war as well. This may very well have been something of a "re-build" done by a late-war sword company under pressure to produce swords, but suffered from lack of supplies.

Welcome to the collecting world!

• Like 1

Hi Dosh, don't be put of by the honest comments you may have interpreted from the forum contributors.

All WW2 Japanese swords are of historical importance, regardless of condition.

As Bruce indicated the late war handle wrapping over canvas is it in self interesting. And in my experience quite collectable due to its uncommon nature. It was a desperation measure as materials became scarce in 1944/1945.

Hope you use this acquisition to spur you on to more research and the collecting of other specimens. It is a great hobby, and you meet some great and knowledgeable collectors. Neil.  

• Like 2

• 6 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..