National Treasure Swords (And Koshirae) Of Japan

Paul Martin

Hi All,

Hope you all had a good Christmas, and wish you all a happy new year!

Just throwing this out there. I have finished a long term project that is just moving forward. The publisher is also onboard with the project. However, given the volume of photographs needed and copyrights to pay for them. I am thinking of crowd funding for advanced purchases. We are thinking of doing a limited edition B4 sized Japanese cloth covered hard cover in an additional box cover of 500 numbered copies at approximately $450 usd each. Then a standard sized book, maybe B5 or A4 possibly hard cover at approx $90 and/or a paperback version, $60-70 usd. These are just rough estimates at the moment.

The book is "National Treasure Swords of Japan' all in English with all National Treasure swords and Koshirae.

What would the interest be in a book like this and the various formats. We are ready to roll, we are looking for about 20,000 USD in pre-orders.
  • Like 10

Hi Paul,

It would be helpful if you put dimensions to the book sizes; save us all the bother of looking them up online.  How large will the illustrations be on a page.  All photos, no oshigata?  How detailed (how good) will the photos be?  Maybe you could post an example.  How much text will be included: dimensions & description, history, whatever for each piece?  If you are proud of the book, the more you can tell us the more likely we will be to sign on.

Sounds very interesting.  Grey

There will be 137 swords and koshirae in total, I had to have a cut off point, so I decided not to include swords that were designated National Treasures as part of a greater set of objects like a wedding gift, etc.

However, I have included ones that are categorized as archeological objects. In the blade section there are 115 blades  I have also included one Imperial collection blade for example purposes (116). There are also 21 koshirae. There were also some National Treasure designated saya and stuff that were just not interesting enough, so I cut them. 

Here is a size chart for you. https://www.belightsoft.com/products/resources/paper-sizes-and-formats-explained.php

No Oshigata, just photos. It's not an easy task getting the money for the copyrights for the existing photography, so getting them all reshot is pretty much an impossibility. However, where there is new photography available, it will be used. The originals are pre-digital and the printing techniques have improved since they were first published. 

There will be an explanation for each sword with descriptions and dimensions. The explanations vary in length for each sword depending how much info, or history accompanies the sword. It is all preceded by the obligatory essay on Japanese swords and culture, followed by a brief history. Then all the swords and koshirae explanations/descriptions, followed by the various obligatory (but very detailed) sword information, diagrams and glossary. 

So far, there has not been a comprehensive book in English that showcases all of the National Treasure blades. I thought the data alone would be worth having on any sword enthusiasts bookshelf. 

• Like 3

As posted on my FB site, I will be in too, for the hardcover version to be precise. Checking my stats, I got a little over "500 people reached" status on my share but no concrete reply. So in order to let Paul know about the actual "real deal" backing of this project, I ask my readers to go directly to Paul's page or FB page. I think that this is a great project and an important must have reference on every bookshelf!

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..