N B T H K - E B - Bonn 4-12-2016

The meeting was well attended as usual. Seeing I was bit under the weather - I hope my notes are correct! If not, please correct me!

First of all there was a kantei-session:

1. Echizen Yasutsugu, Keicho Shinto, Shimosaka - excellent explanation by the owner how we could've arrived to this conclusion!

2. Shizu Kaneuji

3. Hizen Masahiro nidai - very flamboyant, not something you would immediately associate with Hizen.

4. Bizen Katsumitsu yoroidoshi (dated 1519) in perfect state of preservation (remnants of ubu-ha) - a rare sight

After that we went on with a presentation by Herr Prof Kremers about the Tea Ceremony (chadō) and its influence on tsuba of that time. It was very interesting to see that not just some motifs but also the actual texture and colour of the different chawan and other vessles (Oribe-yaki, Raku-yaki,...) reappeared on tsuba. As always it was a very worthwhile meeting.

post-355-0-93614200-1481027069_thumb.jpg

post-355-0-78481700-1481027077_thumb.jpg

post-355-0-02102600-1481027087_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

A little correction :

First Blade was from Shimosaka School, not strait  from Yasutsugu .

Of course Yasutsugu came from the Shimosaka School but the blade itself has only a paper with a attribution to Shimosaka.

The next time i will repeat my explanation also in english.

We are very fortunate to have Prof Kremer as Chairman of the NBTHK European branch. It was his sad duty to take over after the passing of Michael Hagenbusch, it was a difficult task to pick up after a man of such learning and enthusiasm had filled the post for so long.

We were delighted to have Herr Kremer together with another long term figurehead of the NBTHK EU branch, Hans Eschbaum, join the token of GB meeting at the Ashmolean

The presentation by Herr Kremer was fantastic and the examples he used to illustrate his presentation exceptional. He showed an incredible insight and understanding of his subject not least from on artistic composition  perspective that I for one had never considered in such depth.

He is a great asset to the sword community in Europe. We hope to be able to welcome him back to future meetings in the UK at some point in the future.

On my one visit to Bonn last year I had a great time and if you can attend the NBTHK meetings it is a very worthwhile thing to do. If I can get there again in coming years I will certainly do so.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..