Ugly Showato In Japan, With Uglier Horimono

Saw this on FB today.
The hamon looked oil quenched, and then I saw the Sho stamp. So yet another Showato that slipped through the registration cracks in Japan.
And that "horimono" looks like it was done by someone with a Dremel :doh:
Nah..not my thing at all. Seems the authorities are getting a little more lax in their registration procedures lately, or they just don't care as much?

Anyways, ugly sword award of the day (imho) goes to....

http://www.nipponto.co.jp/swords3/KY327482.htm

3043_07.jpg

3043_08.jpg

3043_11.jpg

3043_13.jpg

3043_05.jpg

I have to say I don't like the authentic piece either. If you look at the underlying sword it is quiet and attractive with a fine ko-itame hada and gentle suguha hamon. To my eye putting such a glaring horimono on it detracts from the original work in a very negative way.

Just as well we are all different and have different takes on things, the only problem here is that once it's done it can't be undone so you would need to be vey sure it was what you wanted (I am sounding like I am talking to my daughter about tattoos!!!)

• Like 1

Brian, I was kidding. Of course they are miles apart. But I also very much agree with Pauls observation. I think that being lovers of Japanese art beyond mere amateurs most of us have an appreciation for the understated. The subtle interplay between nature and the Japanese vision of aesthetics draws the aficionado deeper down this vortex of a hobby.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say I don't like the authentic piece either. If you look at the underlying sword it is quiet and attractive with a fine ko-itame hada and gentle suguha hamon. To my eye putting such a glaring horimono on it detracts from the original work in a very negative way.

Just as well we are all different and have different takes on things, the only problem here is that once it's done it can't be undone so you would need to be vey sure it was what you wanted (I am sounding like I am talking to my daughter about tattoos!!!)

Maybe the clouds were carved to cover forging defects...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..