Nco Scabbard Drag

IJASWORDS

Hi Bruce, faint TOKYO mark on small drag sword, but can't find any arsenal marks on larger drag sword. Attached a photo of other wood handles  I have laying around, one has over stamped 3xxxxx number, the other has none, is this normal? They have wooden scabbards with iron ends. Saw a late war NCO sell on eBay a couple of days ago at USD2700+, WOW, can't believe it. Always appreciate your analysis, knowledge and prompt replies, Neil.   

post-3858-0-85235300-1480481470_thumb.jpg

The bubble handle to the best of my knowledge have never been found with serial numbers. Having said that, there was a recent wooden handle with tsuka-ito that had numbers which was until then unheard of. So there may be one out there, but bubble handle are rare as it is. The ito wrapped handles are rare to. The bubble handle may have the tick shaped stamp on the fuchi, blade and drag, any combination of those or not at all. I've also seen late war NCOs of the ito sort with the drags cut off. I can't imagine why.

Not all scabbards for either the aluminum handled or wooden handled were stamped. Some were, others weren't. Shame this discussion was not in the thread I made to discuss wooden handles, but it's 'older' now so unofficially archived.

You have a nice collection of 95's. I'd hand my Sadakatsu over for one as nice as that! Thanks for sharing. http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/20454-wooden-handled-type-95s/

• Like 1

Neil, Shamsy (Steve) and Stegel are the real pros on NCO gunto! I just addictively prowl the forums more frequently!

Steve answered your numbering question. On the overstriking, that seems pretty normal on the late-war 95s.

All the Type 95s have been going up in price this year, but the late war versions are really going up.

Hi Shamsy, looked at your attached thread, VERY INFORMATIVE, and answered many of my questions. My specialty is really 94's/98's, but have picked up some nice 95's along the way. They were the ugly ducklings of WW2 swords, but to be honest grow on you and provide good research material. You don't see too many show up these days however. Neil.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..