New 5 Volume Book On Tosogu

Hi guys,

3 sword study groups in the west: The Japanese Sword Society of the US, The NBTHK American Branch, and The NBTHK European Branch have pooled resources to translate from Japanese to English and publish what will become a very important reference on the history of sword fittings.

TOSOGU CLASSROOM

For 18 years, noted author and scholar Fukushi Shigeo wrote a monthly article on Tosogu (sword fittings) titled “Toso: Tosogu Shogaku Kyoshitsu” that appeared in the NBTHK's “Token Bijutsu”. Our 5 volume book Tosogu Classroom is a translation of the complete 18 year run. As a whole, these 5 volumes will present today's understanding of the history of Tosogu and easily will be the most comprehensive treatment of the subject ever in English.

Volume 1 is hardbound with a dust jacket, 8 ½ x 11”, and more than 500 pages of text with hundreds of black & white pictures. It includes an introduction to fittings, materials, design, surface treatment, carving, inlay, coloring, early tsuba (both iron and kinko), and begins a discussion of artists and schools who worked in iron, going into great detail on the artists and the work they produced. Volume 2 continues the discussion of iron, volumes 3 & 4 cover Kinko, and volume 5 will be illustrations in color. This is a great reference at a great price; don't miss out.

The 5 volumes are being released serially (Volume 1 is available currently; we hope to have all 5 out by the end of 2017) and for the next few months only to members of the 3 organizations and at cost of printing plus post.  If you are a member of one of these 3 you can buy one set at cost: $40 plus post each for volumes 1 to 4 and $80 plus post for the color Volume 5.  Midway through 2017 anyone can buy the volumes for $60 each for 1 to 4 and $120 for #5.

Again, you must be a member to get the member price, members can purchase only 1 set at the member price, and non members won't be able to buy any of the volumes until sometime in 2017.  After you have joined one of the groups contact the group for instructions to buy the books.  If you join the JSS/US (jssus.org) you can contact me (grey at japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com) for instructions.

I have read all 5 volumes and can highly recomment the set; you won't be disappointed.

Grey

• Like 4

Hi Stephan,

You should soon receive your copy of the 6th JSS/US Newsletter for 2016, this being the color issue on Ko Kogai.  Inside you will find an insert with instructions for ordering the Fukushi books.  If you don't get the Newsletter let me know, but I think you will have it before long.

Grey

• 2 weeks later...

My copy arrived today. I think this will become a standard reference work in English language regarding tosogu. It's projects like this that make it easier for people to get into this hobby, tearing down the language barrier.
Really an amazing job! The pictures could've been better, but that's understandable, seeing Markus didn't have access to the originals and seeing it's a Lulu publication. Otherwise the cost would've been a lot higher. 

This one gives you a lot of bang for your buck! (to use a colloquialisme). Sorry for the poor mobile pictures, but I hope they give you an idea about the wealth of info in this publication!

So everyone out there reaping the benefits of these publications, join a Japanese Sword Society and pitch in! A big thank you to Markus but also the various donators needed for this project and Mr Grey Doffin for proof reading!

post-355-0-56469200-1481788681_thumb.jpgpost-355-0-40339200-1481788692_thumb.jpgpost-355-0-20517000-1481788701_thumb.jpgpost-355-0-00184600-1481788713_thumb.jpgpost-355-0-37305000-1481788724_thumb.jpgpost-355-0-92160300-1481788732_thumb.jpgpost-355-0-56559700-1481788742_thumb.jpgpost-355-0-79551500-1481788754_thumb.jpgpost-355-0-00006000-1481788764_thumb.jpg

I already ordered (and paid for ;-)) all volumes in the series, and am waiting for the first to arrive. I especially like that Markus uses macrons in his transcriptions, makes it a lot easier to pronunce the Japanese words correctly; sadly this is something that most translations lack :(.

Mines arrived but has been hidden away for Christmas :( 

At least I can lose myself in it over the holiday if the family joviality becomes too much!!

From what little I have seen Markus has done his usual excellent job. For non  fittings people like me this is probably the one reference work I need to include in my rather blade dominated library.

Thank you JSSUS and NBTHK EU for supporting this and Markus for the superb result. I look forward to the rest

• Like 1

I already ordered (and paid for ;-)) all volumes in the series, and am waiting for the first to arrive. 

Quick check with Lulu, your first volume was shipped on Dec 8. Not sure what's the nearest printing partner for orders from/to Japan but hope that the book arrives soon.

And thank you all guys, and Grey for being so patient with my English ;) We are working hard on the next volumes.

• 5 weeks later...

Pete Klein said this was a good book, but I was a bit blown away by this.

Vol. 1 is an excellent tome.

If I had this 15 years ago, learning would have been so much easier. Born too early!

This is flying below peoples radar, and really shouldn't.

It is sort of the kodogu collector's Nagayama c.2017

Hi Henry,

I believe it will be March before non members can buy the books at 150% of cost but since membership in the JSS/US costs significantly less than that extra 50% there is no reason not to join and order the books now.  Once you have joined send me an email and I'll tell you what you need to do to place the order.

Grey   grey at japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com

Hi Brian,

I am not in charge of shipping the books so I can't answer your 1st question.  This is being published print on demand so the nearest to you print shop affiliated with the company will print and ship, which should make post for everyone reasonable.

If you are a member of one of the 3 sponsoring organizations (JSS/US, NBTHK/AB, NBTHK/EB) please send an email for ordering instructions.

Grey   grey at japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com

• 3 months later...

Hi Stephan,

It is in the works but I don't know when it will be available.  Since I am the one who is proofing/editing I can tell you that the extended section on Choshu is complete and I have seen other material that follows but how much is left and when it will be ready for release, I don't know.

Grey

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

I just got my book and have been reading it over the last week.  This has got an insane amount of information for a beginner.  I find it very easy to follow and if there are any new enthusiasts to the hobby, this is a must have for your collection.  Incredibly in depth.  A special thanks to everyone who made this book happen.  I am positive that I will enjoy this for years to come.  

Dave

I bought the first volume before the summer (thank you Markus Sesko), read it during holidays, and I also want to say a big thank you to everyone who participated in the project ! This book is exciting and above all very didactic, I recommend it to anyone who wants to begin.

I'm looking forward to read the volume 2 ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..