Paul Martins Polishing Services

David Flynn

I sent a sword over to Paul Martin for Polishing, Shirasaya, Habaki restoration and Shinsa.  May I say how impressed I am with the professionalism of Paul.  The sword has now been polished and awaiting Shinsa. I saw the sword in Japan whilst there attending the DTI and the polish was outstanding.  The charge also, was more than reasonable.  I can't recommend Pauls services highly enough.  It has been an absolute pleasure.

• Like 7

For the avoidance of doubt, Paul can arrange for a sword to be polished by a variety of polishers in Japan and he has numerous contacts in that community. In that sense, he is not restricted to one or two polishers and it is best if everyone discusses their preferences with him directly.

Michael

• Like 1

Paul's service is excellent, I'm collecting a sword from him next weekend in London. Anyone in the UK who wants to send a sword for restoration should contact Paul as it's a good opportunity to avoid shipping/customs hassle.

Thanks for the tip Peter. I've contacted Paul and am going to have a run down to London to drop a sword off on Saturday. If anyone wants to put a face to a name, I'll be the short, fat bloke clutching a grey holdall.

Best,

John

I have also used Paul's services and he is imho the gold standard if you want restoration work or to send something to shinsa in Japan. The communication is second to none answering my noobish questions(I think we're up to around 100 e-mails at this point over just the one sword) and his rates are very competitive. The packaging is also outstanding to the point I felt embarrassed about what I sent him.

I'll also be there on Saturday although I couldn't get out of work tomorrow night so am coming straight from work then have to be back in work Saturday night so will be quite zombified :(

• Like 1

It's probably just the photos. Useful befor and after pics would have same lighting, orientation and everything. As is, the photos make it seem like the hada got opened up in the shinogi ji, because we have no before on this spot of the blade in similar light at least. Then we have Kunitaro San that mentioned here of the fujishiro famous acid polishing a showato in a day, VS the other method for no acid, so there you go.

It's probably just the photos. Useful befor and after pics would have same lighting, orientation and everything. As is, the photos make it seem like the hada got opened up in the shinogi ji, because we have no before on this spot of the blade in similar light at least. Then we have Kunitaro San that mentioned here of the fujishiro famous acid polishing a showato in a day, VS the other method for no acid, so there you go.

Unfortunately I don't have many photos of the sword before it was polished. That patch of coarse hada on the shinogi was already like that before the new polish so it hasn't really changed as such.

• Like 1

Back from drug ride  :glee:

Look to the photos, My comment was about the fact that it reminded me a sword that I have at home. And another, which I had long ago. The first - ugly hadori. The second - perfect sashikomi. Therefore, it seemed to me that it looked better before.

Unfortunately sashikomi are shooting very badly.

post-2254-0-72885100-1481118016_thumb.jpg

post-2254-0-54640800-1481118327_thumb.jpg

post-2254-0-82158200-1481118338_thumb.jpg

post-2254-0-69872300-1481118351_thumb.jpg

post-2254-0-16120800-1481118363_thumb.jpg

post-2254-0-00715500-1481118374_thumb.jpg

post-2254-0-48889800-1481118389_thumb.jpg

post-2254-0-01457500-1481118543_thumb.jpg

post-2254-0-75347300-1481118553_thumb.jpg

post-2254-0-30536200-1481118564_thumb.jpg

post-2254-0-85826600-1481118573_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..