GINZA CHOSHUYA WEB MAGAZINE

Hi All,

Choshuya is inviting friends to their web magazine for the limited time. And there's of course Paul Martin behind doing the translations. Here's their email. FYI

This is Ginza Choshuya Co&Ltd from Japan.

Thank you for your taking time to check this information mail

from Ginza Choshuya.

I would like to send customers time-limited ID and PASSWORD

to enter the fee-paid member page as follows.

http://www.choshuya.co.jp/web_member/year_index.htm

ID : 12345678

PASSWORD : abcdefgh

The id and password are valid for a week from February 5th.

Please enjoy our member site.

It would be nice if you introduce our new service to your friends.

If you have any requests or questions, please do not hesitate to contact wit

h me.

Sincerely yours

---------------------------------------

Ginza Choshuya Co&Ltd

Tomoriki Imazu

10-4 Ginza 3 cho-me chuo-ku Tokyo Japan

TEL 03 3541 8371

FAX 03 3541 8379

E-mail ginza@choshuya.co.jp

---------------------------------------

Hi Jean,

I don't think so. They say they are going to provide basic English description on all items. The word "basic" means not full Japanese explanation, I spectulate. Unless Paul goes full time translating word by word.

As Henry mentioned, 5,000 yen is too much for web magazine. Might as well see what's in there while it's free.

As Henry mentioned, 5,000 yen is too much for web magazine.

I agree with the both of you. I'm a subscriber to their monthly catalog since 1990, and get twelve issues a year (that have much more info than the online version) for Yen 5,000. IMO you get a much better value there, and it shouldn't be that difficult to figure out the measurements etc. with even a minimal command of Japanese.

Hi Ichi, Guido,

Of course you are right and I am sure (with my poor kanji knowledge) that if I have a problem in translating I shall have all needed help from you. :D :D

Now, as France is not a reference for sword market, this company's swords/kodogu/Tosogu seem quite outstanding in quality. How would you compare the quality in regards to quoted price?

Thanks Guido that's what I thought furthermore it is impossible to discuss prices, they answer with a flat refusal

We usually show the best prices in our shop, web site and catalogue.

We do not set a price on our item thinking about a discount.

Especially, we set the prices of Fine Sword's items low as soon as possible,

because we would like many people to enjoy Japanese antique sword fittings.

Please understand our policy of sales.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Their prices may be sometimes a bit high, but I think that Guido will back me up that they have a great reputation, and are very nice to deal with. The staff are very friendly, honest and liked.

Not a bargain basement shop, but one of the good dealers who always have great new stuff.

Brian

Ichi, Guido, Moriyama san ...

In your opinion which is the best on-line shop (in terms of quality:price)?

There are not too many shops that sell online, and I don't buy from them, so I really wouldn't know. However - and I already see some members looking down their noses at him - Mr. Tsuruta has the best prices by far (if you know what you're looking at, and ask him the right questions). He doesn't put his really good stuff on the website, instead contacting possible buyers directly. But then again, who on this board will dish out US $ 50,000 for an unseen sword without papers that he feels will make at least Jûyô?

Indeed...

When I was at Aoi, I saw the huge amount of swords in their vault that were on their way out, and he also told me that online is a small part of their business. I think they have their client base, and what isn't taken there ends up online.

And he also had good words about "Guido-san" so you must be a good customer Guido :D

Brian

Thanks for the answer Guido.

I have already bought 3 swords from Tsuruta-san (Nio, Enju, Bizen) and he has attractive blades at very competitive prices.

He is a very decent fellow to deal with and being used to Westerners behavior, if the sword is not on consignment you can get a 10% discount.

In fact I trust him in his judgment.

The three questions to ask Tsuruta-san are :

- Do you recommend this sword? If he says yes, then carry on, if he says neither yes or no (he will never says no but send a biaised answer) then skip it

- Are there any kizu not mentionned in the description? He shall list them all and even take pictures.

- Is it possible to get Tanobe sensei sayagaki? If he says yes and Tanobe sensei performs it, you are assured that the blades are of fine qualities. It is worth all kanteisho. If tanobe sensei declines the sayagaki, your sword is not TH level ...

Prices generally not only reflect blades quality but fashion (Have you noticed that some smiths are much in vogue - Hizen - Koyama Munetsugu, Ishido Korekazu ....) and that some of their TH blades sell at higher prices than some Juyos?

Hello everyone,

Out of curiousity, what does it take to actually get a reply from Ginza? I have emailed them on at least 3 different occassions asking questions and it takes at least 1 week or longer for a reply. When I reply back, I never receive a follow up from them.

Most recently, I sent an inquiry for a piece in the magazine that I wanted to purchase and as expected have not heard back from them. They are always courteous in their reply to me (as I am to them), but with a staff of so many people, I don't understand why the communication is like this.

Just wondering if anyone has eperienced this?

Thanks,

Eric

And he also had good words about "Guido-san" so you must be a good customer Guido :D

Actually I'm not that good a customer, but I have referred and introduced quite a few newbies to him. Other than that, I'm generally well-liked by many because of my men's-man-personality (when it comes to male acquaintances) and my rugged good looks and sexual magnetism (when it comes to girls).

Hi Jean,

The best on-line shop? My first sword came from Sanmei's Tokugawa Art. I've regretted it, and will never buy one from the net. I use on-line searching for one, and will make a personal look before buying one.

I think it's still Aoi, although I agreed with Guido that there ain't that many around that's active. Tsuruta-san's mark up price is relatively lower compared to others. I think the overall quality of his blades went down recently though. His friend dealers bring them over to liquidiate their inventories. Some good ones don't even go on the net. Kurokawa sensei's Sokendo or Taibundo in Ginza may carry better quality stuff, but then no on-line information and price extremely higher.

Thanks a lot guys that's what I thought.

Unfortunately, few of NMB members are lucky enough to live in Japan, in France, we have no Japanese sword/kodogu shows, sword market is so narrow .... Some dealer shops, scarce, with very few blades (most of them of middle quality). From time to time, public auctions with fair blades (most of them to be restrored) ....

Since January, nada ... :cry: :cry:

Hi all

The web-version is currently NOT available, so I ordered for 13000 Yen the package. You get immediately ID and password. About the price : I have recently read, a espresso coffee costs in Paris over € 7.-- ! For what Choshuya offers at this price is in my eyes a bargain in view of what you can gain on information.

Regards

Eric

of the magazine for some time. Choshuya spend a lot of money on producing those magazines and the online subscription is just a supplement to those magazines, it comes free with the full subscription. It is not unfair I think to ask for a fee for the online only supplement as the amount of work that goes into producing these images, translations and the likes is large. They are a professional outfit and this is reflected in their prices. This applies for most of the top stores. Ginza Seikeido, Japansword, Sokendo etc.

Choshuya have some of the best stock in Japan in their store, and as was mentioned in regards to AOI, very little of it is seen online. You have to ask. I have bought several items from them that were not published either online or in the magazine. Good customers are shown some favor and are offered items relevant to their collecting tastes before they go out to the masses.

These high end stores are not for the faint of heart, as anyone who visits can attest. That Ebay mentality would get a flat out bitch slap the moment you step in the door and rightly so. I have to say, if you wish to continue to think in the $500 range, then don't bother visiting these sites unless just window shopping, though Ginza has Finesword, that does cater for this market.

Quality cost's money. Deal with it.

Richard

Quality cost's money. Deal with it.

You are way out of line. There are a gazillion "sleepers" and "study pieces" at any given gun and/or antique fair. You're maliciously spoiling the fun for those who are basically weapon collectors, and are only into Japanese swords because their past conduct makes it impossible for them to get a FFL. Since when do you really get what you pay for? Just a myth, self-servingly spread by those stinking egg-heads and so-called "connoisseurs"! Isn't it better to own lots of non-descript, crappy blades of Japanese origin than no Samurai sword at all? Heck, if I really have to spend serious money for quality I'd rather collect beer coasters, at least they're for free! :steamed:

Sorry, but my (anyhow underdeveloped) self-restraint went down the drain *fast* when reading your post - that should become a sticky, underlined and in a gigantic font size! 8)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..