Fuchi And Kashira Kanji

David McDonald

Dear All

I bought a mounted wakizashi (O-tanto) at the Minneapolis sword show.  The Shinogi-zukuri blade with high shinoji is 12 ¼ inch (31.1 cm) long with a gunomi midare in nio hamon. 

The fuchi is signed by Mito ju Sekijōken Motokazu (H05878.0).  I think I have identified some of the kanji on the right hand side but I am unsure what they mean?  Any thoughts?

Also there are 5 kanji on the side of the fuchi and 8 kanji on the kashira.  I am unsure what any of these kanji are.  Thoughts?

The fuchi has a red gourd with maple leaves and the kashira has a samurai with a naginata?  Is there a story here?

If more images are needed please let me know.

Thanks for any help

David  jswords@mcn.net

post-1157-0-14883300-1478668137_thumb.jpg

post-1157-0-60576200-1478668190_thumb.jpg

post-1157-0-59725100-1478668263_thumb.jpg

post-1157-0-68551400-1478668329_thumb.jpg

post-1157-0-90812800-1478668379_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi David,

Take the following with an enormous pinch of salt:

I believe the Gourd (Hyotan) is sometimes associated with Toyotomi Hideyoshi.

Also if you look at the Warrior, he has more than his fair share of swords....is this a reference to the Hideyoshi sword hunts?

Also the Kabuto looks a little like a Momonari hachi (Peach shape bowl)

The Peach (Momo) also being a Hideyoshi motif:

Momoyama Jidai (lit: Peach Mountain era)....after Hideyoshi's  Momoyama Castle (AKA Fushimi - Jo in Kyoto)

:dunno:

• Like 1

Dear John

Thanks very interesting. 

This evening in Legend in Japanese Art I found the story

as you photo'ed above. 

He did not have a banner so grabbed a gourd and tied it

to a pole.  And then added a gourd for ever win.

So that he had a Banner of 1000 Gourds (Sen Nari Hisago)

as his standard.

But I was wondering why he would have 6 katana in his obi???

later

david

Hi David.,

Let me expand upon my previous comment in para 3 about the number of swords.

In 1588, Hideyoshi instituted a Katanagari (Sword Hunt) 

Here's what Wiki has to say about it:

In 1588, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, having become kampaku or "imperial regent", ordered a new sword hunt; Hideyoshi, like Nobunaga, sought to solidify separations in the class structure, denying commoners weapons while allowing them to the nobility, the samurai class. In addition, Toyotomi's sword hunt, like Nobunaga's, was intended to prevent peasant uprisings and to deny weapons to his adversaries. This hunt may have been inspired by a peasant uprising in Higo the year prior, but also served to disarm the sōhei of Mount Kōya and Tōnomine. Toyotomi claimed that the confiscated weapons would be melted down and used to create a giant image of the Buddha for the Asuka-deramonastery in Nara.

"Taikō's Sword Hunt", as it came to be called, was accompanied by a number of other edicts, including the Expulsion Edict of 1590, by which Toyotomi sought to establish a census and expel from villages any newcomers who arrived in or after 1590. The chief goal of this was to place a check on the threat posed by rōnin, masterless wandering samurai who had the potential not only for crime and violence in general, but for banding together to overthrow Toyotomi rule. Hideyoshi, like most of this period, believed in rule by edict, paying little or no attention to legal principles.

While the Sword Hunt ostensibly succeeded in denying weapons to potential rebels, it also created discontent throughout the nation, increasing the number and passion of potential rebels.

Cheers :beer:  :beer:

Dear All

So far I have -- with lots of help!

Fuchi

Kaianji (quiet sea temple)

海晏寺  (read left to right)

Kō Kaede (Red Maple).

紅楓    (read left to right)

Kaianji temple was a spot in Edo (Shinagawa) that is/was famous

for its autumn foliage viewing of the red maple. So the

red/crimson maple leaf and other leaf with the gourd (sake bottle) would

be what you would see at the viewing in the autumn.

Thanks Morita-san for your help.  This is very interesting and I always enjoy learning

more about how themes are put together on Japanese swords.

Now to work on your information on the kashira to understand what it means.

Anyone  have any thought on the right hand side of the fuchi with the smiths signature on the left hand side?

抱一公賀?

Hō kazu kō ga ?

is what I see???

thanks again

later

david

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..