Framing Oshigata

Ken-Hawaii

Thanks to Piers, I have a spectacular oshigata of a shrine sword, nearly six feet long. I want to have it framed, but have no idea on the best way to do so.

The Kanji are read vertically, which will make hanging it interesting, so I assume a light frame would be best. I would appreciate any ideas & photos.

Aloha!

Ken

Hi Ken,

Oshigata are usually made into kakijiku (hanging scrolls with fabric boarders) for display in Japan.  Last time I checked (about 5 years ago) there were a couple of places in Hawaii that made kakijiku and would mount paintings (sumie and shodo).  When you say the kanji are read "vertically" do you mean with the scroll in a horizontal or vertical position? (if horizontal, then the kakijiku method is unusual but not unheard of...) 

Thanks to both of you. George, thanks for the terminology I was trying to remember! Do you know who does kakejiku in Hawaii? I haven't been able to find anyone yet. It will mounted vertically, with the kissaki at the bottom for proper reading.

Steve, I kind of like the bamboo idea, but am not sure how the fragile oshigata tracing paper would be mounted. I'm also wondering if living across the street from the ocean would make it prudent to have the oshigata mounted under glass or plexi. We're having some serious winds blow through the house this evening (35-40 mph), & I cringe to think what would happen to tissue-paper if caught by a gust, even if mounted with backing as a scroll.

For those of you who don't live in the tropics, our homes are wide-open to the weather, both for wind & temperature. Right now, it's 73F outside, & 73F inside.

Ken

I would definitely have it under glass; a thin wood backing covered by fabric behind the oshigata and thin glass over the front would do the trick; I am sure there is a place near you but can't remember one right now. Is that art gallery still out there on Kam Hwy, they might have an idea where to get it done. Good luck!

I would second Steves thoughts. Even though I do not know the climate of Hawaii that well (I have a basic understanding) having oshigata framed under glass is a long lasting option and it is not affected by elements. I had small bunch of them framed and I really like the results. The art gallery made passepartout cut outs and I think the end result looks really classy.

post-381-0-34660100-1478017516_thumb.jpg

Can't wait to see that big oshigata. :)

• Love 1

Dear Ken,

One thing to remember is that many parts of Japan have weather, humidity and, historically, open homes with high winds just like Hawaii (and they have mounted oshigata as kakijiku there for centuries...)  Here's one of the several places in Hawaii that can probably assist: http://yasumirestoration.com 

Jussi, your oshigata look fabulous! Very similar to what I have been trying to picture - thank you!

George, I'd never heard of that place, but am planning to visit them the next time I'm downtown - arigatou!

Steve, that's Sunshine Art Gallery, & I've dealt with them for many years, as my company took care of their computers. They're less than a mile away from where I live, too, so I'll start with them - mahalo!

Of course I'll post photos when I get it back.

Ken

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..