Tsuba Collecting - First Purchase, How Did I Do?

Good day all,

After collecting a couple of interesting Wakizashi & Tanto, i wanted to add a few nice Tsuba to my humble collection.

For first purchase I picked up this Tsuba with boxed with papers for just under $300. The style appealed to me,  and the fact it was signed with papers was an unexpected bonus, as i expected higher costs for even a lower grade papered example. All the gold inlay seems to be intact. 

How did i do? Did i overpay? It is signed 'Echizen jyu Kinai saku'. I have yet to get a full translation of the certificate.

It is not a high end piece i am sure, and i doubt it is particularly old (late 19th / early 20th century?)  but would like to hear any thoughts from you about the piece, and the pricing. The pricing for Tsuba collecting seems to vary massively, and i am finding it abit of a minefield!

post-343-0-98320200-1476830087_thumb.jpg

post-343-0-79193600-1476830103_thumb.jpg

post-343-0-04158800-1476830111_thumb.jpg

post-343-0-22923300-1476830118_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Adam,

I think that you did fine on this TSUBA, and it is a good start into collecting. It seems to be of good quality and in very nice condition. The price you paid is on the cheap side, depending a bit on the size of the TSUBA. 

The AOI leaves design is a standard one with KINAI like the one below.

echkinai.JPG

As KINAI were made roughly between 1600 and 1800, yours may be mid-EDO.

Actually very good for a first purchase.

Condition appears fine, so don't feel any need to do anything to/with it.

The papers appear to be very old (early) NBTHK white papers from 1963. If I have the date wrong, someone feel free to correct my reading.

Much of the language is standardized.

I think either Danney Massey's site has a good crib-sheet of information and translation of the old NBTHK papers.

See http://www.nihontocraft.com/japanese_sword_papers.html

Danney's green papers example broken down part by part should help you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..