Gimei Kurihara Nobuhide (Revisited)

Death-Ace

Hey guys!

Two years ago, I posted this sword that I had bought from a militaria auction house that had also had a few other blades from the same veteran LCDR. While back then, I had only posted some poor pics from the auction, I have taken the opportunity to take some better (although not expert!) photos for the sake of prosperity as I may sell this sword soon to pay bills and other endeavors. It has been a treat, but I'd rather see her go to another collector who'll afford a polish and enjoy it as I have!

Even with the pics, maybe some sharp eyes here have an idea or clue to the school it could belong to?

The blade is in good shape, although with a few flaws! The blade is really nice and hefty, with the nagasa measuring 29" and a nakago of 8". The mune width was approx. 1/4 in with the distance between the mune and ha approx. 1 1/8 in at the mune-machi to the Hamachi. I honestly do not know how to describe the hamon as I'm still doing kantei on it. The left appears to be a wild choji-midare and the right a wide midare? I've heard of some schools with this style, such as Ishido but maybe it's the same hamon, but not too symmetrical.

No hada can be seen unfortunately. The boshi is small with a slight turnback. I see some resemblance to Nobuhide-san's works, but it doesn't seem to fit his exact style. Not sure if I've ever seen any photos of his blades without hi or horimono.

There are two light nicks to the boshi and two tiny chips in the ha. I used a little bit of uchiko over the years to take out some of the rust and attempt to bring out more of the hamon. I also used an old worn pure copper penny to gently scrape off some of the raised areas of rust. Some light pitting was underneath as can be seen.

The mei is noted as "Kurihara Chikuzen no Kami Nobuhide" and is dated to 1867. Even if gimei, if it was created during that timeframe, it is neat to see a blade that was made during the last breaths of the shogunate. The chiseling of the mei as well as filing pattern of the nakago do not bear a real resemblance to his works as one member here kindly stated when first posted.

It is a real treat with some guessing that it is either a ShinShinto mumei that was later given a signature or possibly even an early gendaito. Hope y'all enjoyed it!

Lev

1009161645.jpg

1009161646a.jpg

1009161646b.jpg

1009161647.jpg

1009161647a.jpg

1009161647b.jpg

1009161647_HDR.jpg

1009161648_HDR.jpg

1009161648.jpg

1009161649_HDR.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..