Hi guys,

The last issue for the year of the JSS/US Newsletter will be a translation and full color reproduction of an article on early kogai by Hajime Zenzai that originally appeared in the Japanese magazine Me no Me.  I have seen and read this and I can recommend it.  If you would like a copy you need to join the JSS/US, which you can do on our website: jssus.org.  Your membership will get you this kogai issue and the 5 other issues that have already been mailed this year.  You have about 1 month, I think, to get your dues in before it's too late to receive this year's issues.

Cheers,  Grey

Was wondering about the state of issues. The issue that covered David S tadpole menuki left alot to be desired, there was no way of telling how nice they are if you had not seen them elsewhere. So you're telling us that future issues are going to have color images on slick paper? If so i may renew.

Hi Stephen,

Color is very expensive in the small runs we do for the Newsletter; full color issues will be infrequent.  That said, the amount of information you get with the 6 issues per year is well worth the $45 it would cost you in the US (bit more elsewhere).  And your membership helps pay for the translation and publishing in the west of Japanese references, which wouldn't be available otherwise (700 pages of Sue-Koto for $50 and the 2,000 or so pages of Mr. Fukushi's writing on kodogu that will be released for sale very soon are just 2 examples).  Membership in organizations that publish helps to build community also, and there is intangible value in that.

I have memberships in the JSS/US, Northern California, and NBTHK American Branch; I think it's important to support their efforts.

Grey

Post here is still too unreliable, and not even sure when I last got my issue.
I still think they need to look at a pdf download version for members. Yes...it can be distributed. So can scans of hard copies. No real reason not to do it, and save us overseas members the postage costs and missed issues.

• Like 2

Gray 

I understand the pros, the pulp facts dont out weight the lack of being a good Nihonto rag....its just not what it used to be, if and when i hit the lotto i cant renew for what we get....sorry....if i do win ...i pledge 10K for someone to step it up to the likes it use to be. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..