Small Hole In Nakago?

Fuuten

Hello everyone,

While doing the daily browsing I came across the following piece. This topic isn't so much about the piece being genuine, but more about the small hole in the nakago, i don't think i have seen this before. Its listed as 1 mekugi ana so i'm wondering what function the small pinhole could serve?

-> http://www.aoijapan.com/katana-hizen-kuni-ju-minamoto-munetsugu-signature-not-guaranteed

Thank you all in advance,

Axel

post-2850-0-99770800-1475143331_thumb.png

Hi Axel.

I wonder if this is the result of someone drilling a hole for fitting gunto koshirae?  I have a kaigunto with a small hole in the silver foiled habaki where someone was a little enthusiastic drilling a pilot hole for one of the screws securing the koiguchi to the saya.  Admittedly you would really have to let your mind wander to drill right through the nakago but..........

All the best.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..