Questions about the new forum?

Hi Brian,

The fonts of the new forum seem much bigger , the standard text looks like 16 pt. Other websites and forums seem fine, and display at 11 or 12 pt. I'm using Netscape 7.2, but I've tried the Netscape 9 and it looks the same. Is there a profile setting to adjust font size?

Regards,

Daniel,

Which theme/style are you using? I am on Explorer and NS 7.1, and the fonts are I think 12pt, which are not large. One of the themes (maybe Prosilver?) has a font increase/decrease button on the right, and maybe you have it set too large? The others have a default font that is not large. Anyone else seeing fonts too large?

Brian

Hi Brian,

I'm using the Nihonto theme, i tried the others but the font size is still displayed rather large, and I can't find the option to increase or decrease it. I can select the font size when posting, but that doesn't change my display.

I've to scroll down to view the entire index on my 1280 X 1024 display.

Regards,

Can't see what would cause it. Having to scroll on that theme is normal, as there are additional bars displayed, but font size should be around 12 according to the style sheet.

Can you try one of the other styles such as proSilver or SubSilver2 in your profile and let me know if they also have larger font size?

ProSilver has a font size button on the top right above logout..will that change the size?I have to scoll down a bit on index at 1024x768, but the sizes are ok. Awaiting any other comments from other users. We will still have to fine tune the themes a bit I think.

Brian

I have a different question about the new rig. When I log on to the main index there is nothing to tell me which forums have new material. On the old rig the bells were swinging if there was something new; on this one all is still regardless. Also, once inside one of the forums, I'm not sure which of the threads has seen activity since my last visit. Some are a different color and one just now had an animated (moving) logo at the front. If someone could enlighten me I'd appreciate it.

Grey

Grey,

I would need to know which theme you are using. Each has different pics to indicate different things.

I would like to gradually reduce the choices to one or 2 if everyone can agree on which ones, but I still have people choosing different ones. Something to do soon is decide which to keep and let the others go.

As an example...for the Nihonto theme we have unread posts having a very different bell, colored yellow/gold. See the pic below. Easy to see new posts. If there is a small white circle top left of the bell, then that is a thread you have posted in yourself.

I will draw up a table to show them all once we decide on 1 or 2 themes max.

I can do similar for the other themese if anyone needs to know and lets me know which theme. You can also right click the icon, and choose properties and check the name of the icon to see what it indicates. Won't take long to get used to them.

Brian

icons.jpg

Grey,

Just checked, and most of you are still using the Prosilver theme that was the original default here before I added others.

Yes..those icons aren't as clear to differentiate new posts. I'll make new icons tomorrow that are clearer. New posts icon does have a different colour...but it isn't clear to many of us (I am colour blind..so it is even harder for me)

I'll come up with an icon that is obvious for new posts. The scrolling text icon also shows new posts iirc.

Will get that done..seems many of you like that style...but do try the url ending in 1,2,3 or 4 to check out the others.

Btw..the icon with a small star at top right shows posts you participated in.

Brian

Grey and others...

To preview the other styles, you can use this url : http://www.nihontomessageboard.com/nmb/index.php?style=1

Change that last number from 1 to 4 to preview the 4 different styles. Choose the one you want, and set it in your profile by going to your profile, board preferences, and them change your default style/theme. Each one is a totally different look to the forum.

Brian

Hello!

I found Black and Nihonto themes quite cool, especially the Nihonto one looks very modern and elegant, but I will stay with prosilver2 - the eyes are not hurting so much after long reading, when the black letters are on a brighter background.

As to the bigger fonts- in Mozilla you can set the size of fonts from v. small to v. big in VIEW. The same option you can find in IE. Don't know if Netscape has the same options but try to search for it.

Regards!

Michal

Well....as long as you are being so specific and detailed..... :roll:

Did you actually check out all 4 style options? There are very detailed explanations on how to preview all 4.

You realise that once old software has been discontinued, the old versions are no longer supported and we don't get security or other updates? Therefore we don't have very much choice but to go to the new software which is this one. We could stick with the old forum, but eventually it is going to have unsolvable issues or get hacked.

And as much as I'd like to keep the old look, the people who designed that themeset have not done one for phpBB3...so it isn't an option unless you know how to port themes?

This move can be as easy or as difficult as each person wants it to be. I'm trying to make it as painless as possible. :doubt:

Brian

Henk,

Go into the How To section, read the post about changing styles etc, and change to the Nihonto style in your profile. You will like that one. It is the default, and is why you are seeing part of it before you log in.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..