Extra Events Scheduled Around The Dai Token Ichi

Invitation to the intrepid souls traveling to Japan for the Dai Token Ichi  :clap: 

Here are two events you may wish to consider:

Wed. Nov. 16th Kamakura Sword Study Group will offer a sword study and dinner party again in Ginza at the Italian Restaurant Cinq (same venue as previous two years).  Location is quite convenient.  Sword study is yen 5,000 (for the venue) and the dinner party will be sponsored by Hisashi Saito of Seikodo.  Date will be Wednesday Nov. 16th.  Arrival time will be from 5:30 p.m. for the sword study which starts at 6:00 p.m. Dinner party will follow the sword study at around 7:30 or 8:00 ... Attendance by advance reservation only. Please notify Robert Hughes (keichodo@yahoo.com) as soon as possible!  :Drool:

Friday Nov. 18th Yakatabune Tokyo Bay Cruise.....Arrangements: This event is tentatively scheduled for Friday, November 18th, but final determination to proceed will depend on the number of interested participants.  As in the past, participants leave from in front of DTI at 6:30 p.m. Cruise to start from 7:00 p.m. Participation by advance reservation only.  Notification to attend is also a commitment to pay if event is held...Cost yen 10,500 per participant. Please notify Robert Hughes (keichodo@yahoo.com) as soon as possible!  Minimum number of participants is 20....the magic number!  :beer:

If you have an interest in attending either one of these events, please contact Robert Hughes at keichodo@yahoo.com....Hope to see you in Japan!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

On behalf of those of us who can't go to the DTI...to those of you who are: PLEASE don't miss these 2 opportunities. Really, they will be one of the highlights of your trip.

The study evening is (I hear) amazing, with hands on study of top smiths that you won't easily get elsewhere. And the yakatabune is one of my fondest memories of my trip. Spread the word.

• Like 1

I just want to take a minute and thank supporters of these activities such as Brian who always gives a thumbs up of encouragement!  It would certainly be great to have him back in Japan quaffing pints in Ginza and out on Tokyo Bay! Cheers to Tony who will be missed this year!  Welcome back to David who regularly imbibes with international katana cronies.......

Yes, there are still spots for anyone else who wishes to participate....With the Tokyo Bay dinner cruise on the Yakatabune...I am hoping to entice a larger number of Japanese sword dealers to join us....many sword price discounts have been negotiated during the flow of sake ...and the act of liquid bonding...having lived in Japan for 36 years...I cannot emphasize strongly enough how effective alcoholic beverages are in getting the best deal....

Cheers,

Robert

• Like 2

Just a note for those who don't really drink a lot...

I know we joke about the yakatabune and how it is really festive and a great social event, even for those who (like me) don't really drink, this is an amazing trip. Aside from all the great contacts you will make...seeing Tokyo from the river at night is one of the most beautiful scenes I have experienced. Go up onto the roof/balcony and take a look around at the city with the lights and sounds and you will see a side of Tokyo that is stunning.

It really made an impression on me, and combined with the contacts and knowledge in the room below (which is ultra comfortable and the food amazing) makes it a must.
There wasn't a sword study evening back when I was there, but have friends who have attended every year and can only rave about it.

Yes Robert, you can be sure I'll be back. As soon as things settle down and I can travel again, I'm headed right back there. Can't wait.

Just read Jean's comment. :(

Aww man..chicken pox? I hear that's really rough in adults. You have my sympathies. Get better!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So jealous that I cannot be there - did anyone mention;

The NTHK will host a Tokubetsu kansho-kai on the 20th from 1 until 4, which is also the last day of the DTI. The site is the TKP Shin-Bashi Shiodome Business Center, 4-24-8 Shin-Bashi, Minato-ku, Tokyo. It is a short walk from Shin-Bashi station.

• Like 1

So jealous that I cannot be there - did anyone mention;

The NTHK will host a Tokubetsu kansho-kai on the 20th from 1 until 4, which is also the last day of the DTI. The site is the TKP Shin-Bashi Shiodome Business Center, 4-24-8 Shin-Bashi, Minato-ku, Tokyo. It is a short walk from Shin-Bashi station.

They will feature some two dozen swords for hands on examination as well as a group of swords for kantei. Cost is ¥5000 per person

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..