Looking For English Translations Of Ogasawara Etiquette Books

Randy McCall

For a research project, I am looking for English translations (or summaries) of traditional Edo period Ogasawara Ryu court etiquette, including instruction on everything from performing basic formal movements to  ceremonial acts. While I've found any number of books in Japanese on both modern and ancient versions of the art, easily found English versions are hard, if not impossible, to come by.

Any help appreciated.  One nice visual reference I located was this older video, showing some movements related to Ogasawara Ryu kyudo...

H Randy.,

Have you contacted them?

http://www.ogasawara-ryu.com/en/indexe.html

I am not sure if there are two or more lines of Ogasawara - Ryu currently in operation.

I haven't Malcolm, thanks;  I'll drop them a note and see what they say.  (A quick update:  I looked over the site, and it simply a statement of a few points of etiquette... there's no contact information) 

I have a number of Classical Japanese fluent folk in my Antique Japanese Manuscript Collectors FB group, most located in Japan.  Almost all of these members have a strong interest in this topic (most are authors, academics, or martial artists with their own followings).  They unanimously agree there are no real English translations of the old Edo etiquette works, and that most of the authoritative works exist only in manuscript form.  There are, of course, modern books in Japanese on formal etiquette, but little on detailed Edo period traditions, and just one or two basic books in English on formal Japanese dining etiquette, put out by various members of the Ogasawara family. 

We are talking about organizing a volunteer group to translate at least a few of these old manuscript works, if only for our own interest, and for the use of our associated groups.  If anyone is interested (in participating or in the results) let me know and I'll keep you up to date. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Randy,

Just one thing I wish to add.

People gave you here 2 links from 2 diferent branches of Ogasawara ryû.

Both are oficial, but one is the honke (main house): the one with the sangaibishi kamon full in purple, and the other is a bunke (secondary house) the one with ths jumonji inside the sangaibishi kamon.

The historical fact is the following: Ogasawara ryû was created in early Kamakura jidai as an archery school. As the Minamoto, and Hôjô shogunate consolidate, they introduce little by little more ettiquete inside the teachings of the school.

Arround Muromachi jidai, I think in the Kitayama bunka era of shôgun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu, the school was so full of geijutsu arts and reihô that almost left the archery and horsmanship teachings. Then was created a branch of the school that focus on that "military" part.

The main school continues today just teaching traditional reihô, geijutsu arts, and modern protocol by the hand of the 33th sôke Ogasawara Keishôsai.

The other branch main teach is Kyûjutsu-kyûbajutsu-yabusame, but also teach reihô, as you post in your video. You can found it also in the Nihon Kobudô Kyôkai homepage.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..