My 1St Kabuto

Greg F

Hello All, I recently bought this kabuto and its my first piece of armour. Samurai armour wasnt something I thought I would be very interested in but after seeing all the great stuff in the katchu section here ive slowly got the bug For the money I spent I had the choice of this or a modern repro of a fancier design and I wanted the real thing so chose this one. I dont know much about it so far but I believe this is a zunari [5 plate design] kobuto from aprox 1800. Would love to know anything others may be able to share about it.

Im also hoping to find out about a book about zunari kobuto in english or atleast english translation if anyone knows of any?

I plan on getting a maedate to fit if anyone knows of a suitable maedate. Was thinking of making one but would feel more appropriate with a genuine maedate. In the near future I plan on matching it with a suitable mempo and maybe even a full yoroi.

I appreciate any comments or info. Thanks and all the best.

Greg

post-3330-0-60472500-1472911246_thumb.png

post-3330-0-25987400-1472911264_thumb.png

• Like 3

Hello Gentlemen, thanks for the nice replies.

Dave, I would love to see some pics of anything youve got that would go with it if you want to pm them to me or I can give you my email if you prefer. Im about to move the Family to another house in next few weeks and also made a couple other purchases in my colection so cant afford much at the moment but will be keen ad to it soon. Thank you.

Uwe thanks for the welcome, i find Samurai swords and armour make me feel like a kid at Christmas.

Stephen, I hear you. Ive also picked up a bug that i believe you have with soft metal tsuba.If only I could make money the way ive started spending it on these wonderful historical items lol.

Thanks guys and all the best.

Greg

Greg, I have over 30 armours and again as many boxes in storage full of bits, dou, kote etc.

When you are ready please contact me, i will be able to dig through and find some that match well. If you have the bug then please feel free to visit the samurai armour forum and interact with the guys there.

• Like 2

Gday, thanks John. The dark side haha. I heard darth vaders helmet was inspired by this design. I saw a photo of them side by side and can see the similarities.

Shame about the lack of zunari kobuto books. Will just have to pick bits of info here and there i guess. Cheers.

Greg

Gday, thanks John. The dark side haha. I heard darth vaders helmet was inspired by this design. I saw a photo of them side by side and can see the similarities.

Shame about the lack of zunari kobuto books. Will just have to pick bits of info here and there i guess. Cheers.

Greg

The movie " the hidden fortress" by Kurosawa was made as a SF movie, Starwars by Lucas.
  • Like 1

Hi Jean. My apologies, I seem to make my own spelling as I go without noticing even with English, the only language i speak and to be honest im probably the slowest one finger typer around. I had barely even used a keyboard until a gentleman referred me to to Nmb.

Hi Thomas ive planned on watching " The hidden fortress " for a while now and will try getting the movie asap. Thanks guys.

Greg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..