Need Id On Kabuto

fromaes

Cerjak, Your images show a 32 plate russet iron suji bachi of heishozan form (that is more or less flat on top). The technique used where  you can see the heads of the rivets on the outside is called omote karakura.  The tehen kanamono is late Edo in form as is the o-manju shikoro. It is difficult to say who made such a helmet but probably one of the multitude of Myochin smiths.

Ian Bottomley

Hi Cerjak,

It is an so called "Suji bachi kabuto" in, what I think, "heichozan" (high sided, flat on top) shape. The outer surface finish is "tetsu sabiji" (russet iron). Attached is an 5 lame black lacquered (kuro urushi nuri) neck guard (shikoro). It looks a bit loose or sloppy mounted. On top a 5 stage "tehen no kanamono" (ornamental surround) over the "tehen" (hole in the crown of the bowl). Well, from what I can see, it's an "Edo period" piece.

Oh, it's getting late......so long!

PS: Suji bachi kabuto = multi plate helmet with countersunk rivets and erected flanges on the edge of each vertical plate.

The family crest (mon) can be called "maru ni ichi". It depicts the character for 1 in a ring and was in use by several clans.

Ha,....beaten by Ian!

Hi Cerjak,

The only thing that I would add to what Ian and Uwe have said is that the shikoro (neck guard) seems to be a later addition to the helmet because in a couple of the images, it seems to sit above the koshimaki (the flange to which the shikoro attaches). An original shikoro would fit exactly, with the horizontal flange completely visible.

John

Thank you all for your comments ,I have particularly appreciated that you took of your time to share  your  knowledge and also to have expressed your opinions so quickly .

I will post two more kabuto in the forum and I will be very happy to receive your opinion again.

Best

Cerjak

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Cerjak,

The only thing that I would add to what Ian and Uwe have said is that the shikoro (neck guard) seems to be a later addition to the helmet because in a couple of the images, it seems to sit above the koshimaki (the flange to which the shikoro attaches). An original shikoro would fit exactly, with the horizontal flange completely visible.

John

Dear John,

Most of the rivets which hold the shikoro in place are missing and in my previous photos the shikoro does not fit tightly against the "koshimaki but in the next photos you could see that now the shikoro fit perfectly againt the bowl.

Best 

Cerjak

post-3252-0-59913700-1473675424_thumb.jpg

post-3252-0-32779400-1473675433_thumb.jpg

post-3252-0-25992600-1473675442_thumb.jpg

post-3252-0-76188300-1473675454_thumb.jpg

post-3252-0-57796500-1473675464_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..