Armour Matching Kabuto And Menpo Listed Earlier

shakudo

Hi All, Mike here again.Just received pics of armour that go? suit kabuto and menpo. (sorry about new thread but unsure on loading pics- not real savy with a computer im afraid).

Anyway... Im over the moon with the possibilities of this armour. It matches with the kabuto and I can even see what I think is the throat guard of the menpo!

Can you please advise if it is of the same era as the kabuto/menpo set?

Ian , I'm overjoyed with this find- even if it is repo couldnt care, it deserves a restoration of some sort- just cant believe this has fallen my way!

Sorry Jesper I didnt thank you earlier for your response- cheers, all info and comments taken on board.

Many thanks once again and am waiting with baited breath for your opnions.

Rgards Mike.

post-524-0-51264400-1471429656_thumb.jpg

post-524-0-76534100-1471429682_thumb.jpg

post-524-0-68826300-1471429704_thumb.jpg

post-524-0-75701600-1471429723_thumb.jpg

post-524-0-07437800-1471429874_thumb.jpg

post-524-0-98073900-1471429894_thumb.jpg

post-524-0-57119000-1471429923_thumb.jpg

Hi All, Mike here again.Just received pics of armour that go? suit kabuto and menpo. (sorry about new thread but unsure on loading pics- not real savy with a computer im afraid).

Anyway... Im over the moon with the possibilities of this armour. It matches with the kabuto and I can even see what I think is the throat guard of the menpo!

Can you please advise if it is of the same era as the kabuto/menpo set?

Ian , I'm overjoyed with this find- even if it is repo couldnt care, it deserves a restoration of some sort- just cant believe this has fallen my way!

Sorry Jesper I didnt thank you earlier for your response- cheers, all info and comments taken on board.

Many thanks once again and am waiting with baited breath for your opnions.

Rgards Mike.

Who ever applied the mons to the kabuto and tekko was trying to tie it all together, it would be nice to see the individual parts spread out, what a mess this armor has become.

08238d53f7819f58c02d24687c6fe917.jpg

Very promising, Mike! That looks indeed like the tare (throat guard) for the menpo - so you're halfway there in that restoration. I wonder too if that is the rest of the kote (armoured sleeves) that go with the tekko (hand guards) in the box shown on the last image. It would be good if you could take out all the parts and lay them out like you have in the first five images.

Mike,  I said the helmet was in need if TLC - sadly the rest of the armour is really a DIY kit that really needs to transferring to the Intensive Care Ward. :)  :)  :)

Being serious, it is in fact very interesting. Towards the end of the 18th century there was a mood of nostalgia abroad for the glories of the past after some 150 years of enforced peace. The bushi began to take an interest in ancient armours and those with the money had copies made. At first they were wildly inaccurate, I suspect because the armourers had to work from paintings, but later when they had examined preserved examples, very good replicas were produced. The armour you illustrate incorporates some features of an o-yoroi but misses wildly in many respects. Most obviously wrong is the dou, which is a version of yokohagi okegawa dou, whereas a real o-yoroi would be in two pieces, a separate solid right side plate and a lamellar dou covering the front, left side and back. I am intrigued by the hinge that allows the upper part of the front to be swung down, I have a late Kaga dou with the same feature that I have never been able to explain unless it was for someone with a physical problem. The back of an o-yoroi had one row of scales laced in reverse to allow the shoulder straps to be swung back to make it easier to put on. The maker of this armour tried to incorporated this idea as well as adding the large ring for an agemaki bow that would form part of the shoulder guard attachments. The armour has been provided with o-sode (large shoulder guards) as an o-yoroi would have, but of false scales, kirritsuke kozane, rather than real scales. O-yoroi had four pendant kusazuri hanging from the lower edge of the dou at the front, back and sides. I think the piece shown on the right hand photo is either the front or back section, with three fastenings that correspond to loops on the dou front and back allowing it to be detached. You are right in that the piece next to this is the tare for the mask. 

So what appears to be there are the remains of a very interesting armour that can be dated reasonably to sometime in the second half of the 18th century. There seems to be an o-sode, three sections of kusazuri and the shinguards missing. 

Ian Bottomley

• Like 3

Hi all, many thanks for taking the time to comment. I must admit I am looking thru rose coloured glasses but am very aware of the epic task in front of me!

Ian, thanks again for your expertise and advice. Yes it certainly is an intensive care proposition and definetly a DIY project. Great insight also into the armour, I'm guessing it's a bit of Dandyism with the variations but I can certainly live with them- providing I can get it all!!!

Eric, many thanks also., but as it's an Oda Mon I can live with them as they are but don't know how they are attached yet, that could be the kicker!

John, not my pics but if I get the set I will spread it all out so I can see what I have and I will add pics for anyone interested.

But now my dilemma has increased as have no idea at all on value- just have to fly by the seat of my pants!

Many thanks to all and I hope to be asking for suppliers contacts in the near future. Wish me much!

Cheers Mike.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..