Nthk 2017 West Coast Shinsa

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yoshikawa Sensei will be giving his lecture on the 19th of this month. The title is Looking Behind the Stories of the Famed Seikadô Swords. It will be given twice at 10:30 and 1:30. Kawakami Yoichiro sans' lecture is on March 4th and the title is Regarding Japanese Swords and the Art of the Craftsman. Looks like a day long demonstration from 10 to 4:30 of saya making, sword making and polishing. This information is from the Seikadô website.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Show and Shinsa are not far off - Now is the time to make your reservations - contact me for registration forms - also note updates to the Team Bio page...

announcing

The Nihon to-ken hozon kai (nthk) is pleased to announce 
THE NTHK 2017 West Coast shinsa
August 4th, 5th and 6th  2017
SFO airport marriott, burlingame california

yoshikawa eiichi sensei and the nthk have are pleased to have been invited to san francisco with their team of sword experts to provide sword collectors in the u.s. the opportunity to have their precious swords examined and authenticated under the same strict conditions practiced in Japan.

as this event coincides with the annual san francisco sword show held at the same venue, attendance is expected to be high, therefore early registration is encouraged.

Northern California Japanese Sword Club 2017 To-Ken Taikai

Mail in service is available for $100 per item for details email us at;

to register please visit our shinsa registration page

Rick

when you fill out the registration form it asks your preference for day and am/pm.  As i recall you get a confirmation in advance and it has the day and time on it. so you bring the item at your appointed time and they tell you about when it will be done (maybe 2 hours). it has always been easy and smooth for me

• Like 1

Rick

If you want to insure a particular day, it is best to get your registration in early. Timeslot Reservations are sent out in the month before the shinsa. As Mark says you present your sword at the allotted time and it takes about two hours for the sword to clear the room. For your convenience here is the registration form...

-t

2017 Registration.pdf

• 1 month later...

Only sevene weeks to go folks!

What better gift to buy yourself for fathers day than a trip to San Francisco -

“If you are thinking of buying an exhibitor’s table at the show, better hurry as they are going fast. For information about availability, please contact Fred Weissberg at hageyama@mindspring.com”.

“ Be sure to book your room reservation at the show hotel, the San Francisco Airport Marriott Hotel before the block fills up. Their number is 650-692-9100. Don’t forget to ask for the special Sword show room rate of $169.00 per night. If you have any problems booking the room, contact Fred Weissberg.”

and if you're thinking of submitting items for shinsa, now is the time to send in the registration, we will soon be assigning timeslots if you dont want to miss out get your reservation in...

• 1 month later...

Heads up folks!

Pre-registration has closed for this years Shinsa. There are a few slots left but you will have to come see me at the show to get on the schedule. Looking forward to seeing everyone in San Francisco.

-t

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a program/schedule of events for the San Francisco show that begins tomorrow? Pardon if this has been answered elsewhere.

tom

All I can find, not sure when the actual shinsa judging is, probably says on the registration form:

http://www.ncjsc.org/sf_token_kai.htm

Lot's of folks I know will be there, should be fun to hear stories! Wish I could have gone.

I'm really looking forward to seeing someone share their show experience. Isn't there some sort of NMB bylaw that requires at least one post/report from each NMB member attendee of sword shows? If there isn't one, there should be!

• Like 2

I had a very nice time at the show.  It seemed like a good number of people, in a nice spacious room.  I was impressed by the number of tables, and representation by sellers that I have not seen in Chicago.  I saw a few of the dealers from Japan in attendance, which was cool.  I only bought a few small things, but I always learn something when I go to a show.

Some folks said that sales were slower, but I did see quite a few nice tsuba get snatched up.

The staff were all extremely courteous, especially Tom, who is a true gentleman.  The shinsa seemed to be very busy.

The hotel was quite easy to get to, and has a free shuttle bus running the short distance to the airport.   

I only took one photo on my phone, which was of the shinsa team.  I always plan on taking a few pictures, but the day just flies by, and I usually forget.

I think that it is worth the time and effort to attend the show there, especially as it is comparatively easy to get into the SFO airport.

post-1-0-73305400-1502173350_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The show was excellent as usual in my opinion. Fred does a wonderful job organizing and setting up. Sales seemed to be a touch slower for me but still decent. There was a large amount of quality tsuba out there. I picked up a couple for my mokume tsuba collection. All and all I'll be back next year.

Chuck S.

• Like 1

The annual NorCal TaiKai Aug. 4-6 in SF was once again a wonderful nihonto-immersion experience.  Fred Weissberg and colleagues are to be thanked and congratulated on arranging a highly successful event.  The room was full (all tables sold, I believe), and it was neat to greet old friends and make some new ones, including several Japanese dealers.  Lots of swords and fittings on display, and I saw many items both small and large changing hands.  A dozen or more Juyo blades were offered for sale (or just tire-kicking).  A special tent was set up with different kinds of lighting for careful examination of prospective purchases.  The NBTHK display was a kantei exercise organized by Mike Yamasaki, with Mr. Myoga, the well-known Japanese dealer, serving as judge:  Kagemitsu tachi, Kiyomaro tanto, Satsuma Masayoshi daito, an Oei-Bizen wakizashi, and a Shinto Nobukuni daito; also just for appreciation were a Rai Kunimitsu tachi (TokuJu) and a Soshu Akihiro wakizashi (JuBi).  [Plug -- the NBTHK-AB does this kind of thing at each North American show, plus other educational materials, so join and be supportive!]  The NTHK shinsa seemed to be doing a brisk business, assisted by members of the NorCal club.  The hotel was comfortable, right across the water from SF airport.  Dinners and drinks (just a few) were provided for the table-holders.  A semi-spontaneous Hawaiian musical event on Friday evening was an unanticipated treat.  Sorry that I have no photos (imagine a large room full of people, swords, and stuff), but perhaps others will offer some.

Except for DTI, I know of no better venue for seeing, learning, greeting, and maybe a little buying/selling.  Mark your calendars for next year -- first weekend in August, I believe.

Les

• Like 3

The show in 2018 will be August 3 to 5.  I had a great time and did tons of business; by far the most swords I've ever sold at a show (it helps to have a pile of swords and tsuba new to the market).

On a sad note: Harry Watson has suffered a stroke and is in the hospital.  A card for him was circulated for all to sign.  Hope for the best.

Grey

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..