My First Menpo

javier

Hi

I have just bought this Menpo in the San Francisco Token Kai. I really like it, I am not an expert in this field so any additional information will be highly regarded.

From previous posts my understanding is that this piece is a quite common Nara ressei men (fierce expression) menpo.

In particular I would like to know about the period of this piece and if any particular maintenance is required. Also would like to learn about proper care recomendations in order to be able to enjoy this piece for many years to come. Any other information will be appreciated.

Javier

post-2505-0-96816800-1471231186_thumb.jpeg

post-2505-0-79724400-1471231215_thumb.jpeg

post-2505-0-91269000-1471231239_thumb.jpeg

post-2505-0-22211400-1471231260_thumb.jpeg

post-2505-0-47469600-1471231280_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi Javier,

nice "Nara" ressei men from the Edo period. "Haruta" school, as you probably know.

Keep it away from direct light (except LED) and try to hold humidity between 45-60% (without extreme temperature jumps).

Enjoy!

Uwe

Hi Javier,

nice "Nara" ressei men from the Edo period. "Haruta" school, as you probably know.

Keep it away from direct light (except LED) and try to hold humidity between 45-60% (without extreme temperature jumps).

Enjoy!

Uwe

Uwe, maybe you can explain to Javier why this is considered to be "Haruta" I

have just bought this Menpo in the San Francisco Token Kai. I really like it, I am not an expert in this field so any additional information will be highly regarded.

The yodare kake (throat guard) appears to be nerigawa (rawhide) as it has shiki-gane (strengthening rods) that are laced to the back of Japanese nerigawa armor items.

6dd3235a38818dfb3789ceb56048b6ba.jpg

Hi Uwe,

Thank you for your answer, could you please let me know where can I find more information about this type of menpo? Any particular book, article or website that you can suggest? This is my first katchu piece and I am very interesting in learning the most possible about it.

Any other information that you can provide will be highly appreciated I was not able to find a lot of information about

Haruta school menpos.

Javier

Hi Uwe,

Thank you for your answer, could you please let me know where can I find more information about this type of menpo? Any particular book, article or website that you can suggest? This is my first katchu piece and I am very interesting in learning the most possible about it.

Any other information that you can provide will be highly appreciated I was not able to find a lot of information about

Haruta school menpos.

Javier

Javier, the best general book I know of on mengu (facial armor) and kabuto would be "The Watanabe Art Musuem Samurai Armour CollectionVolume I ~ Kabuto & Mengu, Volume 1" by Trevor Absolon. The can view quite a bit of it at this link.  

https://books.google.com/books?id=8APyY3eIONcC&pg=PP1&lpg=PP1&dq=The+Watanabe+Art+Museum+Samurai+Armour&source=bl&ots=dRfWQFyGBn&sig=iUfhsqzK7oU0ZfG1Y-YUhZFyLv0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=bqcRUt_8E-Gw2AWJzIDQAw&ved=0CFEQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=The%20Watanabe%20Art%20Museum%20Samurai%20Armour&f=false

eee25ac39cedf7ba5ec07966f60ab611.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..