#1 Erez

Erez

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Locationisrael

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:49 PM

Hello all.

i'm posting picture of a gun barrel, and i would like members help in identifying and getting some opinions about quality . my ultimate goal here is to restore it and build the whole mechanism and wooden parts, and finally shoot it of course. i wonder if it will be possible in your opinions. 

thank you.

Erez.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg

#2 uwe

uwe

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 522 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:10 PM

I'm not the teppo guy and hope that the experts jump in. Hate to be the "party pooper" but I think you should forget this venture. Sry!
Uwe Sacklowski

#3 Malcolm

Malcolm

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:06 AM

Hi Erez.,

As a project it is a noble endeavour and you would learn a tremendous amount along the way.

The cost involved will be "interesting" to say the least.

Maybe save up and buy a complete gun?

Malcolm

#4 Brian

Brian

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,245 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:37 AM

It would cost more than buying a complete matchlock. If you are very good with your hands, and good at fabricating brass, iron etc..then you could give it a go. But you would have to have a complete rifle to work with, to get sizes and specs. It is not an easy job, and one that I would say would not be easy, economical or recommended. But if you want to go for it...by all means and good luck.

- Admin -

#5 Erez

Erez

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Locationisrael

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:13 PM

Thank you for your opinions everyone. My ultimate goal is to build the whole gun but for now I am more concerned with the quality of the barrel itself. What do you think about its condition? Repareable ? Too rusty? And can you tell me something about the maker? Thank you very much for your the info. By the way, buying a new gun is not so interesting for me as to restore one... And yes, you might say I'm pretty good with my hands.. I hope so at least..
  • uwe and Malcolm like this

#6 Brian

Brian

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,245 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:31 PM

The barrel is in poor condition at best. If you cannot unscrew that plug at the back, I would say it isn't a good candidate for the job. Hopefully someone can translate the kanji, but on these guns, that isn't usually of much use. A lot of rust and pitting there.

- Admin -

#7 uwe

uwe

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 522 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:37 PM

Hi Erez,
my first comment was made based on the condition of the barrel and in no way meant to be insulting. Agree with Brian about the whole venture. Anyway, to loosen the bisen screw will be one of the crucial main points.
The mei is hard to see. Maybe you can make it a bit more visible using talcum powder or "oblique light"?
Good luck!
  • Brian likes this
Uwe Sacklowski

#8 Ed Harbulak

Ed Harbulak

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 03:37 AM

Hi Erez,

As someone who has built new muzzle loading rifles as well as restored old rifles and shotguns back to shooting condition and used them to hunt with, I can agree that you will have an enjoyable time building or restoring one. HOWEVER!!! I can't recommend using the barrel you have. If the bore of your barrel is as rusted and pitted as the outside, my suggestion would be to purchase a brand new barrel and build a completely brand new match lock rifle in the Japanese style. When or if you finish making a matchlock rifle using the barrel you have, you will still only have a modern copy of a Japanese matchlock that may or may not be safe to shoot. New muzzle loading barrels are available for about $200 and you can spend your money and time more productively using a new barrel rather than trying to restore the rusty chunk of iron you have. If the inside is as rusty as the outside, you will have to re-bore and perhaps re-rifle your barrel, unless you want a smooth bore. By the time you do all that, you may find that the barrel is still unsafe to fire, particularly if you discover some internal (or external) flaw. As Brian pointed out, removing the breach plug will be the first and perhaps impossible hurdle to overcome. What you would like to do could be quite enjoyable, but you would be better off in the long run starting with a brand new barrel. A friend of mine build a matchlock rifle (using all new materials) and successfully shot a deer with it. There are people here in the US that do use original Japanese matchlock rifles for competition, hunting and just the fun of shooting them. Starting your project using a new barrel would also result in a finished gun in less time than trying to restore the barrel you have which may or not even be restorable. Good luck what ever you do but also keep safety in mind. Alternatively, buy a genuine Japanese matchlock rifle in decent condition and restore it to shooting condition. 

Ed Harbulak

#9 Erez

Erez

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Locationisrael

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:05 AM

Thank all of you for your help.

I will try to unscrew it and see what happens.

Ed, i am not into shooting animals, but i like your idea about new \ restorable condition original barrel. can you please refer me to new barrels or original barrels(only)  for sale?

thank you !!

#10 Ed Harbulak

Ed Harbulak

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:59 PM

Hi Erez,

I don't know about your part of the world, but here in the US www.trackofthewolf.com has all kinds of supplies for building muzzle loading guns including an assortment of newly manufactured rifle and shotgun barrels. Dixie Gun Works is also a good source. I think they are www.dixiegunworks.com. Both of these suppliers are geared toward historic American and European muzzle loading firearms, but you should be able to find a new barrel that could work for a Japanese matchlock rifle. Original Japanese matchlocks do show up at Japanese Sword shows and I presume can be found on some of the Japanese dealer's web sites, although I've never looked. Good luck with your project, I'm sure you will have an enjoyable time.

I might also add that if you aren't able to unscrew the breach plug from the barrel you have, you could saw off the last inch or so of the barrel and fit a new plug. Once you can look through the barrel you will also have a better idea of what the condition of the bore is like. If you haven't already, make sure your barrel is NOT loaded. Often old barrels are found that are still loaded and the gun powder may and can still be dangerous even though it's over 100 years old. 

Ed Harbulak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq