First Purchase Help?

Hello,

This is my fist post here and I didn't see an Introduction board so, Hello Everyone!

I'm new to collecting and thought I would seek advice from people who I think, are capable of helping!?

This will possibly be the first piece in my starting collection, kind of a starter "project."

I've been reading any and all information I can on Real Japanese Swords, I've been looking on eBay (I know about the FAKE antiques, etc) and I've found one that piqued my interest.

I contacted the seller and requested additional photos to help me judge the condition and authenticity of the Katana, I kind of have an idea of what to look for, but not really.. that's where you come in!

I'm not sure about posting links and pics as a new member.. Sorry If I'm not supposed to!

Link to the sword on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/16th-Century-Tsuguhiro-Original-/262554106688?hash=item3d2171bb40:g:94IAAOSwbsBXnMTIor just search eBay U.S. for.. 16th Century Tsuguhiro Original.

What do you all think.. it looks old, but who knows? I've already asked if there was any rust/pits, dents, chips, cracks or bends, he said there was a small chip in the tip area, but it was small. I requested photos of these areas and any Hamon, if present, I'll post them later if possible.

Again, Great to be here.. Thanks for the assistance! Phil B.

I enlarged these and "enhanced" them.. again, awaiting better photos!

post-3782-0-27939700-1470434730_thumb.jpg

post-3782-0-39865300-1470434742_thumb.jpg

No one could judge from those 2 pictures, which is a huge red flag for me, not to mention the battle damage (nice way of saying serious problems).  Save your money and buy books, study, attend shows (Chicago next year and Minneapolis in October: both driving distance for you).  Ebay is a snake pit for a beginner; if you must own a sword buy from a trusted dealer (many active here) and seek good advice.

Grey

• Like 3

Hello,

Take a step back and spend time reading through the countless threads on this board about purchasing and restoration not unsimilar to this one. 

Collecting Nihontô – what, how and who?

by C. U. Guido Schiller

A topic that comes up on the various internet forums regularly is the question "is this sword worth buying?" or "is this signature genuine?", usually followed by some blurry pictures of a rust-covered blade in battered Guntô mounts. The answer is pretty simple: it's worth every penny you're willing and able to pay for if all you're looking for is a weapon of Japanese origin. Might there be a collectable sword under all that surface erosion, or is it even a wise investment to buy a sword like that? In my opinion chances are as high as finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

http://www.nihontomessageboard.com/articles/Collecting.pdf

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/forum/17-articles/

P.S. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/16th-century-katana-blade-inscribed-415988609

Thanks Everyone,

I decided to pass on this one, I never received any further info (photos, etc) from the seller, so I move on! lol I wasn't about to pay the asking price, I was going to offer them $100 +- depending on the response I got here, and the other info I requested from the seller. I figured if I could get it cheap, it would be more a study/project piece that I could research and practice my (non-existent) polishing skills on!? lol

I'll continue reading and researching this beautiful art form.. someday I'll have my "holy grail" Nihonto, and I'll be proud that I started my collection with something REAL and worth having!

So, for now, I'm off in search of knowledge.

Again, Thank You All, Phil B.

EDIT: Nagamaki, WOW. . . I just looked at the second link you posted ref. this sword, I guess they forgot to add that information to the eBay listing.. It's no wonder I never received the additional info and photos I requested! lol Thank You Sir.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..