If I Wasnt Poor

lonely panet

Dear Hamish.

Collecting is the dissonance between taste and income!

All the best

For some of us it could also be phrased "collecting is the distance between taste and income".  One of my sayings is "If the piece is right the price doesn't matter - within reason".  I exercised this maxim only recently when no one on the Board took up an offer so the piece went to eprey, then was still unsold.  I gritted my teeth and paid the price.  I have no buyer remorse whatsoever, however, my pot is now over-stressed, which brings me back to Hamish's point of view...  I think it was the 17th century philosopher Thomas Hobbes who observed that man's wants are unlimited.  He must have known a Nihonto collector??!!

Bestests,

BaZZa.

• Like 2

If Thomas Hobbes had known a Nihonto collector he might have written less pesimistic about society and the structure of government, appriciating the beauty of art.

He may be best know for his depressing statement that life of man is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short (Hobbes, Leviathan, XIII.9). So enjoy life and keep collecting while you can... :) 

About Hobbes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hobbes

All the best

Jesper

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..