Matching Mystery Marine Mounton Ebay

As with the German navy and air force for that matter. When their war was basically over they were pushed into a standard infantry roll.  The same could be said for the Japanese navy.  There is a series of famous photos from Life magazine showing a Naval garrison surrendering and there is a pile of swords and there are many single Hanger type Naval swords in this pile.  One fellow commented on how this put to rest the controversy over these being wartime or assembled post war.    

Well I must admit it is a possibility it may have spent some time in the jungles here in puerto rico hopefully not for harvesting bananas but would excellent for the purpose.move over machetes you have been outdone.

the blades dosnt rust!

I guess its this photo.The photo shows other swords. The kabutogane looks like a closed one. IMO, not same sword type.

Tsuba is also the normal shingunto.

YES,  there is this one which I have seen many times and other from the same roll I have not.  But, that type of sword is seen in these photos.

Did they say meiji period?

Did they mean the blade only? We are all familiar with old blades in Gunto mounts. Otherwise just a confusion between Meiji and Showa. Lets face it, most of the World has no idea as to reign names in Japan.

YES, there is this one which I have seen many times and other from the same roll I have not. But, that type of sword is seen in these photos.

Please explain.

I see in circle 1 kaigunto kabutogana and in 2, I dont see shingunto kabutogana. They are totally different like the ashi. Not same.

post-1265-0-77510200-1469733087.jpeg

how much more can ya pull out of this thread...LOL, is this the same one that got locked found in PR?

the answer is yes it is and at least now we all have a better understanding of these blades and we all benefit.the other thing is I did not want this swordsmith to disappear into oblivion,the critics may say what they want but in my humble opinion it is an impressive weapon.purpose built and served well for the purpose intended.I sincerely appreciate the time and effort all have devoted to the cause .I am deeply greatful.I hope to say somehow the souls of the departed are somehow appeased

Respectfully yours John C. Stroud

Please explain.

I see in circle 1 kaigunto kabutogana and in 2, I dont see shingunto kabutogana. They are totally different like the ashi. Not same.

I guess Im not technical enough. I was just basing it off of lacquered saya with one mounting ring.   

• 3 years later...

There are a few documents around that I think explain what these swords are

Among the fantastic documents that Stephen Thorpe kindly posted in the articles section is the report of a conference held at the Tenshozan Works Kamakura on the 9th of September 1946. Those present included the manager Shintaro Yao who said that he had a contract with the 8th Army PX to deliver for sale by them 8000 swords . He was worried because the PX had cancelled the contract.  

Among the downloadable documents in the National Diet library website is a letter from Capt Wall dated 22 July 1949 where he seeks permission to take home one Naval type Japanese sword presented to him by Mr Yao supervisor of the Japanese Naval sword Manufacturing Co Kamakura .

There is a further letter dated 4 March 1950 requesting authorization to procure authentic samurai swords and hari kari knives for resale to the Exchange . I am not sure what the exchange is but the letter goes on to approve the recommendation that CPO be allowed to procure for sale to the exchange some 6000 souvenir swords . It was noted that the recommendation was based on the fact that an original purchase order had been placed with the manufacturer and had not been cancelled in time to prevent the manufacture of some 6000 swords. In order to prevent monetary loss to the Japanese concern procurement of the remainder of the purchase order was approved . 

I think these documents explain the origins of these swords 

Ian Brooks

• Like 6

There are a few documents around that I think explain what these swords are

Among the fantastic documents that Stephen Thorpe kindly posted in the articles section is the report of a conference held at the Tenshozan Works Kamakura on the 9th of September 1946. Those present included the manager Shintaro Yao who said that he had a contract with the 8th Army PX to deliver for sale by them 8000 swords . He was worried because the PX had cancelled the contract.  

Among the downloadable documents in the National Diet library website is a letter from Capt Wall dated 22 July 1949 where he seeks permission to take home one Naval type Japanese sword presented to him by Mr Yao supervisor of the Japanese Naval sword Manufacturing Co Kamakura .

There is a further letter dated 4 March 1950 requesting authorization to procure authentic samurai swords and hari kari knives for resale to the Exchange . I am not sure what the exchange is but the letter goes on to approve the recommendation that CPO be allowed to procure for sale to the exchange some 6000 souvenir swords . It was noted that the recommendation was based on the fact that an original purchase order had been placed with the manufacturer and had not been cancelled in time to prevent the manufacture of some 6000 swords. In order to prevent monetary loss to the Japanese concern procurement of the remainder of the purchase order was approved . 

I think these documents explain the origins of these swords 

Ian Brooks

That's great information Ian! It confirms what I had found. Over on Gunboards someone posted one of these with the Army PX document. It written out by the 8th Army Exchange and says it's a souvenir not a war weapon. By all appearances, it was sold by the PX!

I think these were being made as part of MacArthur's post-war effort to keep businesses running.

You can see more of it on this thread: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/22400-nlf-gunto-discussion/page-1?hl=gunto

and

http://www.wehrmacht...ad.php?t=984036

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..