Photo

Gassan Sadakazu Tanto, Bakumatsu Style Koshirae, Double Tokubetsu Kicho Certification

tanto koshirae shin-shinto for sale

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 sakura_matsuri_antiques

sakura_matsuri_antiques

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Locationflorence (ITALY)

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:22 PM

Gassan Sadakazu tanto, with Bakumatsu style koshirae, with fittings by Shoami Masamitsu. Double Tokubetsu Kicho certification, one for the blade and one for the koshirae

• Nagasa: 27,4cm
  • Sori: 0,3cm
  • Moto-haba: 2,8cm
  • Saki-haba: 2,0cm
  • Moto-kasane: 0,7cm
  • Saki-kasane: 0,5cm
  • Mei: 月山貞一造 - Gassan Sadakazu tsukuru (Kao) and commission
  • Certificates: koshirae (Tokubetsu Kicho, 04/05/1970, specially precious item), Tanto (Tokubetsu Kicho, 5/4/1970, specially precious item).

Description: Shinshinto period tantou signed Gassan Sadakazu, mounted in typical Bakumatsu koshirae. U no kubi zukuri sugata, powerful masame hada with scattered sparkling nie, suguha hotsure hamon that lead to an average kaeri boshi. This tantou is among Sadakazu's first period blades, Yamato style. Most important the presence of the commission inscribed on the tang, indicating the highest quality level. This blade's nakago is signed with Gassan Sadakazu tsukuru mei , owl's kao with sada character inside and commission. Koshirae is of highest level, typical of Bakumatsu period, with kodogu made of shakudo, shibuichi, gold and silver. Details are incredibly fine made by master Shoami Masamitsu, which signature with kao in inscribed on the back of kozuka. Every kodogu is of the highest level, from tsuba's pitting to kojiri's peony, from details on fuchi and kashira to the scene depicted on kozuka where a monkey, a rabbit and a frog are sitted around the go table. The kogatana is signed 日本鍛冶宗匠雷除伊賀守藤原金道 - nihon kaji sōsho raijo iga no kami fujiwara kinmichi (wazamono), 2nd generation, Kan'ei period 1624-1644, which real name was Mishina Kanbei; on the blade is inscibed a chrisantemum. The hada is itame mixed with masame, while hamon is gunome midare. The tsunagi is skillfully crafted, with detachable habaki made of magnolia. Gassan Sadakazu is ranked JoJoSaku and both certificates are of Tokubetsu Kicho level.

Since this is my first item here the price is €8900 + shipping

gassan-sadakazu-1.jpg gassan-sadakazu-2.jpg gassan-sadakazu-3.jpg gassan-sadakazu-4.jpg gassan-sadakazu-5.jpg gassan-sadakazu-6.jpg gassan-sadakazu-7.jpg gassan-sadakazu-8.jpg gassan-sadakazu-9.jpg gassan-sadakazu-10.jpg gassan-sadakazu-11.jpg gassan-sadakazu-12.jpg gassan-sadakazu-13.jpg gassan-sadakazu-14.jpg gassan-sadakazu-15.jpg gassan-sadakazu-16.jpg gassan-sadakazu-17.jpg gassan-sadakazu-18.jpg gassan-sadakazu-19.jpg gassan-sadakazu-20.jpg gassan-sadakazu-21.jpg gassan-sadakazu-22.jpg gassan-sadakazu-23.jpg gassan-sadakazu-24.jpg gassan-sadakazu-25.jpg gassan-sadakazu-26.jpg gassan-sadakazu-27.jpg gassan-sadakazu-28.jpg gassan-sadakazu-29.jpg gassan-sadakazu-30.jpg gassan-sadakazu-31.jpg gassan-sadakazu-32.jpg gassan-sadakazu-33.jpg gassan-sadakazu-34.jpg gassan-sadakazu-35.jpg gassan-sadakazu-36.jpg gassan-sadakazu-37.jpg gassan-sadakazu-38.jpg gassan-sadakazu-39.jpg

• Stephen, SteveM, Carlo Giuseppe Tacchini and 2 others like this

#2 SwordGuyJoe

SwordGuyJoe

Tokubetsu Juyo

• Members
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:25 PM

Pretty - Good luck on your sale.

#3 sakura_matsuri_antiques

sakura_matsuri_antiques

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:30 AM

I have no photographs of the certifications but If requested i can take some pictures.

Regards,

Emiliano

• Stephen likes this

#4 seattle1

seattle1

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:37 AM

Hello:

Beautiful indeed. Please tell us what you mean by "commission". I must be missing something.

Arnold F.

#5 ggil

ggil

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:14 AM

Amazing! The work on the handle is beautiful.

Grant G.

#6 Surfson

Surfson

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 836 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:58 PM

That is a beautiful piece.  It's hard to tell the state of the polish.  Would it benefit from a finish polish or is it just the photography with dust that makes it look this way?  I love the masame hada!  

Robert S.

#7 Jacques D.

Jacques D.

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:14 PM

Not a commission but datation. Keio san nen if i'm not wrong.

I don't like kao and lack of depth of some tagane.

#8 Stephen

Stephen

Oyabun

• Members
  • 9,537 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:33 PM

That Tanto needs nothing but to be setting on my sword table. 

• ggil likes this

Stephen C.

USMC      DEC 63      APR 73

"Nothing Fxcks you harder than time"

Sir  Davos Seaworth

#9 sakura_matsuri_antiques

sakura_matsuri_antiques

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:35 PM

The first part of the signature on ura side refers to the person the tanto was forged for (please read extract from Metropolitan Museum volume 5 1972 on Sadakazu value topic). The blade need no polish at all, the photographs have been taken with a mid level camera and show dust on the blade.

• Brian, Stephen and Carlo Giuseppe Tacchini like this

#10 Geraint

Geraint

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,096 posts
  • LocationCornwall UK

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:10 PM

I don't like kao and lack of depth of some tagane

Apparently the NBTHK do not share your feelings and, as I understand it discussion of items for sale is not part of the deal unless you wish to express admiration.

All the best.

Geraint

#11 Jacques D.

Jacques D.

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:22 PM

Apparently the NBTHK do not share your feelings and, as I understand it discussion of items for sale is not part of the deal unless you wish to express admiration.

All the best.

You should know that old papers are not reliable nowadays..

#12 Jacques D.

Jacques D.

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:28 PM

The first part of the signature on ura side refers to the person the tanto was forged for (please read extract from Metropolitan Museum volume 5 1972 on Sadakazu value topic). The blade need no polish at all, the photographs have been taken with a mid level camera and show dust on the blade.

That doesn't change the fact that the kao (not the seal) is not the one usually seen on Sadakazu blades. About the seal (stamp) both are used by Sadakazu.

Oh, i'm sure at 99% ura bears a nengo..

#13 sakura_matsuri_antiques

sakura_matsuri_antiques

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:07 PM

The seal is absolutely in Sadakazu style, i'd like to remember that this blade has a NBTHK Tokubetsu kicho certificate. On ura side the first kanji indicate the commission, then there's the nengo.

Please refer to file attached.

Regards,

EmilianoAttached File  Extract from The_Metropolitan_Museum_Journal_v_5_1972.pdf   3.42MB   72 downloads

#14 Jussi Ekholm

Jussi Ekholm

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationTampere, Finland

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:11 PM

I know we are not really supposed to comment ongoing sales but I would second Jacques on the date to Keiō on ura side. Also I think it's the same thing on the blade featured in 1972 Metropolitan Museum volume 5 blade that has similar inscription start on ura side.

I believe that Keiō is written here is sōsho script similar to this.

Keio.jpg

Here is an actual mei which has Keiō written in similar way: http://iidakoendo.com/1195/

I wish not to hinder the sales in any way. I think it's nice piece signed & dated (at least I think so) and papered.

Jussi Ekholm

#15 sakura_matsuri_antiques

sakura_matsuri_antiques

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:35 PM

Here attached the pictures of the certificates. Sorry for the quality but the person that usually takes the pictures is on holiday and i had to take it myself.

Sadakazu-cert-1.jpg

Sadakazu-cert-2.jpg

#16 Jacques D.

Jacques D.

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:12 PM

Here attached the pictures of the certificates. Sorry for the quality but the person that usually takes the pictures is on holiday and i had to take it myself.

attachicon.gifSadakazu-cert-1.jpg

attachicon.gifSadakazu-cert-2.jpg

I'm sorry but the NBTHK does not recognize these papers today.

#17 Brian

Brian

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,643 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:33 PM

Which part of not discussing For Sale items do you not understand?

• paulb, Stephen, Carlo Giuseppe Tacchini and 5 others like this

- Admin -

#18 Stephen

Stephen

Oyabun

• Members
  • 9,537 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:50 PM

Wondering that myself

Stephen C.

USMC      DEC 63      APR 73

"Nothing Fxcks you harder than time"

Sir  Davos Seaworth

#19 SwordGuyJoe

SwordGuyJoe

Tokubetsu Juyo

• Members
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:39 PM

:dunno:  :bang:

#20 Shugyosha

Shugyosha

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:15 PM

Brian,

Just so I'm clear, what is the rule where something is wrongly described? Are we allowed to correct an error?

Best,
John
John Johnson

#21 sakura_matsuri_antiques

sakura_matsuri_antiques

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:10 AM

This is my last message on the subject. It is enyone's right to argue even the shinsa judges that emitted these papers. I don't. Honestly i don't feel myself above the Japanese masters selected by the NBTHK. That's it.

That said, i'd like to sell this item fast and at a fair prize, as i'd like to thank the NMB for the opportunity given to all of us to trade our items here. I'll reduce the price in time as much as i can. So the tanto will go to the first one to hold it. Hope this can create a good opportunity to collect an important nihonto.

Now €8500

#22 Jacques D.

Jacques D.

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:59 AM

On the ura there is a nengo and nothing else... (article is quite erroneous)

IMG_9102.JPG

#23 Brian

Brian

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,643 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:08 PM

Brian,

Just so I'm clear, what is the rule where something is wrongly described? Are we allowed to correct an error?

Best,
John

I don't mind corrections of incorrect info. That is why I feel we should clarify the nengo/commission issue.
But no discussing papers, prices or quality. If people do not know by now the general feelings around papers, and especially old ones, then it is their problem. It has been adequately covered.

• Jean, Jiro49, AndyMcK and 1 other like this

- Admin -

#24 sakura_matsuri_antiques

sakura_matsuri_antiques

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:05 PM

I'm sorry i've been away for the last few days, but it was for a good reason. We finally received the permission to open a Branch of our activity in Japan (kyoto)! It'll be a long process and will take at least 12 to 18 months to estabilish the new shop but we are nonetheless excited about it. I'm really happy to reduce to €7900.

Regards,

Emiliano Lorenzi

• Jean and Greg F like this

#25 b.hennick

b.hennick

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,703 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:22 PM

Congratulations! I wish you success in this new expansion.
Regards,
Barry Hennick
Regards,
Barry Hennick

#26 Satcho

Satcho

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:44 AM

Stunning blade and mounts. I do like the heft of both; indicative for Bakumatsu era.

Michael

http://satcho.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tanto, koshirae, shin-shinto, for sale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq