4 replies to this topic

#1 Nikachu

Nikachu

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:42 PM

Hello,

I am new here, and looking for translation on a wakizashi. It has no Shinsa with it and was wondering if someone would be kind enough to give me a translation and maybe some information on the sword smith.

thanks

CIMG0939.JPG

CIMG0941.JPG

#2 Stephen

Stephen

Oyabun

• Members
  • 9,234 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:16 PM

TSUGUHIRO (継広), 1st gen., Kanbun (寛文, 1661-1673), Echizen – “Echizen no Kuni Shimosaka Tsuguhiro” (越前国下坂継広), “Ōmi no Kami Fujiwara Tsuguhiro – Echizen-jū” (近江守藤原継広・越前住), student of the 3rd gen. Yasutsugu (康継), he lived in Echizen´s Fukui (福井) but moved later to Zeze (膳所) in Ōmi province, he also worked in Edo, we know blades from the Meireki (明暦, 1655-1658) to the Enpō era (延宝, 1673-1681), itame mixed with masame, hiro-suguha with ashi, notare, gunome-midare mixed with togari-gunome, some blades show horimono, wazamono, chūjō-saku
TSUGUHIRO (継広), 2nd gen., Genroku (元禄, 1688-1704), Echizen – “Ōmi no Kami Fujiwara Tsuguhiro” (近江守藤原継広), “Echizen no Kuni Shimosaka Tsuguhiro” (越前国下坂継広), “Echizen Shimosaka Ōmi no Kami Fujiwara Tsuguhiro” (越前下坂近江守藤原継広), we know date signatures from the Genroku

• Nikachu likes this

Stephen C.

USMC      DEC 63      APR 73 

​"Resident curmudgeon  "

#3 Nikachu

Nikachu

Chu Saku

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:00 PM

Thank you very much for the information Stephen. It has helped me to understand this Wakizashi more clearly and to be more respectful of its age, when handling it.

So i am assuming Ōmi no Kami Fujiwara Tsuguhiro is either the Grand-son\ non family related student 3rd Generation of the Tsuguhiro sword smiths and from the Genroku Era 1688 to 1704 And comes from Fukui in the Echizen providence.

Sorry if i am not understanding this correctly. As its all very new to me and i have no knowledge of the Japanese language.

#4 Stephen

Stephen

Oyabun

• Members
  • 9,234 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:08 PM

Im not qualified to say which one yours is, others will ask for pix of the blade parts, I really enjoy mine, do a search here Back from Bobby, That is a sword polisher in Hawaii, his name is Robert Benson.  

It turned out nicely. Tsuguhiro.jpg

attached is a few mei of Tsuguhiro.

• k morita likes this

Stephen C.

​"Resident curmudgeon  "

#5 Stephen

Stephen

Oyabun

• Members
  • 9,234 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:15 PM

post-21-14196907272756_thumb.jpgpost-21-1419690727387_thumb.jpgpost-21-14196907276448_thumb.jpg

dont know if this will work, worth a try

nope they dont inlarge

link http://www.militaria...ack-from-bobby/

disregard first part as its had a new koshi made for it

latter part of first page shows what yours may look like

Stephen C.

​"Resident curmudgeon  "

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wakizashi, translation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq