Whats Under The Urushi (Lacquer)

estcrh

Here is a good example of what urushi could be hiding. This looks like a suji bachi kabuto but the peeling urushi reveals something else. If the lacquer was in good shape I think you would have to be able to see the inside of the kabuto in order to reveal the actual construction and how many plates there were.

70f1445b73f217e5267d2dd7bd0637f0.jpg

Where nerigawa was employed to create a simple hachi dome the outer had to me mocked up to resemble a tetsu form. Urushi is a tree sap that cannot be painted on to create such a finish. The artist would first have to create the suji, possibly with nerigawa strips, secure these in place with kokuso, then apply a series of special grounds mixed from volcanic clays and stone, sabi. Each layer would be ground back and treated with urushi. Only the fine surface ciats would be pure urushi.

The photo posted above reflects the damage caused by shrinkage of the nerigawa. As the base has deformed the layers have cracked and delaminated. As a study item this truly reflects the hidden and amazing work that goes into making the upper surface.

If anyone has questions about this process please feel free to ask and I will do my best to explain in further detail. There are also many examples of this for study on the Samurai Armour Forum

• Like 2

I think it was understood that it wasn't implied the entire thing was constructed of urushi. The result is the same though, the outer construction doesn't match what is underneath. What is the outer layer though? Urushi. What is underneath it, is something else entirely.
Would this have been done as deliberate deception or as an art form to emulate suji? I would think this method of construction would have been just as difficult as using real suji? Maybe not.

It's not deception in anyway Brian. It was made to resemble a suji kabuto by design. This is very normal. 

tetsu was not always avalable, or if it was it was expensive, so armour was made from nerigawa, the Iwai were well know for using it as their preferred material.

tetsu was not always avalable, or if it was it was expensive, so armour was made from nerigawa. 

"Tetsu" meaning iron and "nerigawa" meaning rawhide, although it is sometimes refered to a leather there is a difference

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..