Mei Help, Please

jasper

I have always had a hard time photographing blades. Sorry for the watermark too, I had that set accidentaly when I cropped and adjusted them.

Unforunantly someone took some fine steel wool to this and it has scratched it up. I have used the pompom powder ball on it many times and it has helped a bit. The hamon is starting to show much better now.

This is a thick blade, measuring about 7/16" thick at the habaki. Cutting edge measures about 11 1/4"

Any comments are very much appreciated.

-Rob

DSC03721.jpg

DSC03722.jpg

DSC03723.jpg

DSC03724.jpg

DSC03725.jpg

DSC03726.jpg

DSC03727.jpg

DSC03728.jpg

• 1 month later...

I know this gets asked alot on this board but I have never had a polish done and would not know who to trust. From what I understand there are only a couple people in the US that are good, the rest are in Japan.

What is the typical turn around time for each?

And if it goes to Japan should it go to the NBTHK while it is there?

How are losses claimed by the carriers/polishers? Are they responsible?

If I get the polish, NBTHK papers, Shirasaya and Habaki, I am into it of upwards of about $2000+. I only have $200 into it so far.

I guess I need to figure the value of it once it is complete. No reason to invest $2200 into somthing worth only $1500. Any ideas?

alot of good questions that mostly should be answered by your self...id contact Bob Benson @>http://www.bushidojapaneseswords.com/ read his shinsa page then contact him. the two things going for you is its a tanto so that wont cost the max price of a katana polish and your in at a low cost ...cant say for sure about the mei but a full polished Tatno with papers is for the most part going to run well over 2500, id also op for a new tsuka wrap and saya... might a well go the limit would be my thinking.

...cant say for sure about the mei but a full polished Tatno with papers is for the most part going to run well over 2500, id also op for a new tsuka wrap and saya... might a well go the limit would be my thinking.

not anymore.............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

milt THE ronin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..