Craftsman Robert Soanes: Restorer Of Samurai Armor

Brian

I've seen some of Roberts work. Top of the line stuff, indeed.

I also want to lift my hat to Dave Thatcher. Another Saxon artisan that def knows his way around a katchu hut. Find it quite amazing that the UK got two guys producing great work.

Jan

• Like 1

I have seen the work of many restorers from europe who's standard is outstanding. I also restore katchu full time to a very high standard. I've worked on many fantastic items from saotome to bamen, and was trained by a Japanese professional teacher.

Here's some of my work.
restoration-3.jpg
restoration-2.jpg

restoration-1.jpg

• Like 1

Hi!

Very interesting article, thanks for sharing.

Robert has a good reputation doing exellent work with traditional methods.

I echo Jan that GB is blessed to have Two exellent restorer of Japanese armor, in Sweden there is none.

I have only experienced the work of Dave Thatcher so far and I have always been satisfied with the exellent quality and I am sure, by reputation, that Robert is very skilled in the art as well.

How is the situation in the rest of the world outside Japan?

If anyone has experience of good katchushi please let us know.

Anthony

In Belgium, we are blessed with Zenon Vandamme. Now retired, but a true urushi artist. More members will know him as a sword polisher.

If he is retired shouldnt it be "we were blessed"? He used to have a web site but not any more, I think his services are no longer available to the general public.

Way long before all these fine and sterling chaps described above was a charming little man (in stature, but a giant in spirit).

His name was Emile Boin and he worked in one of the little side streets off of Great Russell Street where the British Museum is situated around 1960 to 1977.

His Shop was called Sakura and the tiny window was simply decorated with a Saya showing examples of all the various Urushi finishes that he could do.

He began in partnership with Michael Dean of Nihon To-Ken but he decided to pursue his dream of being a Laquer Artist, his teacher was a Mr Kaneko.

He mainly worked on the restoration of lacquered Screens and he did work for the B.M.

Basil Robinson of the Victoria and Albert Museum spoke very highly of his work.

He was very much in demand, but he would always take time to repair a Saya, particularly if he knew you were training in Iai.(Mogito were unheard of then).

(Often he would not charge for his service - once, he gave me a Zafu meditation cushion when I came to pick up a Saya he had restored for me).

He was always helpful and polite, and briefly hosted a Zendo in his basement where the likes of a very young Aikido Shihan, Chiba Kazuo  and Shotokai Karate  Shihan,  Harada Mitsusuke could be found sitting in Zazen together like roaring tigers.

He is a long silent voice now, but he deserves to be remembered.

He was related to George Boin of Parisian dealers Boin Taburet who were buying Japanese items direct from " the Yokohama".

(Boin-Taburet was established in 1873 by the antique dealer George Boin and the jeweller Emile Taburet. 

The firm was credited for the revival of interest in Louis XV style silver-work in Paris in the late 1880 s, and awarded a gold medal at the Paris 1889 Exposition Universelle. 

As well as producing exceptional silver and metal work the company retailed small items of furniture and decorative objects of the very highest order, made by the leading ébénistes of the day.

Emile Taburet and Georges Boin worked together until 1900 when Georges Boin associated with the silversmith Henry and created 'Boin and Henry' silversmiths.)

https://nihontoken.wordpress.com/about/

• Like 9

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..