2016 San Francisco Show Schedule Change

Hi guys,

This just in from Fred Weissberg:

Due to a scheduling conflict by the hotel, the Northern California Japanese Sword Club has agreed to the hotel’s request for the following modifications for this year’s show schedule:

1.      The show will open to the venders for set-up at 1:00 PM on Friday, August 12th.  We shall make every effort to push this scheduled opening back to 12:00 if possible.

2.      The non-table holders and public will be allowed admittance at 1:00 PM.

3.      To help compensate for any inconvenience, the hotel has agreed to reduce the special discounted room rate from $159.00 per night to $129.00 per night.  This will be          done automatically by the hotel and you can confirm it at check-in.

4.     The hotel has agreed to provide complimentary coffee to all the venders throughout the weekend.

5.     The schedules for Saturday and Sunday are unchanged.

We sincerely regret this unforeseen circumstance and ask for your understanding and cooperation.  We are looking forward to another great show and appreciate your continued support.

Sincerely,

Fred Weissberg

Cheers,  Grey

Dear Grey:

Thanks for the update. I made my hotel reservation earlier this morning, and I was informed that the room rate was $129, which was a nice surprise. Looking forward to the show. Hope to see everyone there.  

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I will be at the show with loads of new merchandise.  I just took in a collection of 30 some swords, koshirae, and kodogu: Ise Daijo Yoshihiro, a Namban koshirae, Yamato Shizu and Naoe Shizu, Bitchu Tameiye, Mino Kanemoto, Tamba Kami Yoshimichi (sudareba), Kozuke Daijo Sukesada, joint work of Yokoyama Sukekane and Sukehiro (student of Sukenaga), a Higo koshirae, and much more.  2 of the pieces are on my site already (Hideaki & Yoshikuni) but I doubt I'll have time before the show to list anything else.  I won't be able to bring everything (I fly to the show) but what I do bring will be priced to sell.  Stop by my table and have a peek (& say hello).

Grey

• Like 2

Great news Grey.  I hope everyone has their tables fully set up Friday, because I have to fly out Friday night.  I will be at the hotel Thursday afternoon, so hopefully I'll get to meet you all that evening for dinner and/or beverages.  

• Like 1

Not just for sale.

There are also many important items out on display.

And the NBTHK lectures are extraordinary. This year was early original koshirae. But there were a couple of blades.

One tanto from around the 7th century. You could see some muneyaki in it. Astounding.

I was only there Thursday night at the hotel and Friday afternoon but what a great time. A bit overwhelming for a newbie, sensory overload. You can't own everything but there are so many things to enjoy! I would have liked to have brought home a few swords, some original koshirae, throw in a few tsubas, a new hat, and some naked lady tees and I would have been a happy camper. I was able to have a few (3-10, not sure) beers with Brian Tschernega, great guy and working on a couple habakis for me now, Grey Doffin, fellow Minnesotan and all around great guy, and finally Roger Robertshaw. He and I have had a lot of communication via email so we were able to meet Friday after he arrived at the hotel. He literally took me around the show looking at swords, teaching me etiquette, pointing out flaws and attractive qualities in various blades, how to disassemble a sword at a busy show with a dozen people standing close by, how to use the light to inspect a blade, and many other things. We even found a couple of original Hizen Tadayoshis, a papered 8th generation and a papered Shodai, dated as well, although suriage. I saw some blades I have never imagined before either. An extremely long tachi that I cannot imagine trying to swing while on a horse. And an amazingly wide and thick Shinto katana that must have been twice the weight of a typical katana, made for cutting through armour. I'm looking forward to the Minnesota show in October when I will get to spend the whole weekend as it's in my hometown, look at more fun stuff, and get to meet a few more people.

• Like 2

I can only agree with James: overwhelming for a newbie :)

And I'm happy I wasn't caught in the video: my wife dragged me in a 10 miles walk under California's sun and I had an embarassing sun burnt red face :)

• Like 2

100% agree an overwhelming experience!

The show was amazing I had the chance to attend to the NBTHK lecture of old koshirae it was exceptional!

I am a beginner this was only my second Token Kai flying from Argentina and like in my previous participation all the collectors and dealers in the San Francisco Show were very kind and willing to share all their valuable knowledge.

I had the chance to study in hand all kind of amazing blades

Yamashiro Rai and Enju

Yamato Tegai, Sen Juen Tachi From Heian period!,

Bizen Masamitsu Thank you Andy Quirt!

Yamato Shizu and Naoe shizu thank you Greg!

Bizen Omiya

A beautiful Hizen blade, thank you Mike!

There were also a few amazing Bizen blades Yoshioka Ichimonji and Bishu Osafune Morisuke

And much more !

What was most important I was able to meet again a lot of great people there and meet new collectors and dealers too!

A big thank you for all the people who work hard for making this show possible ! From my point of view it was a superb learning experience.

Javier

https://www.facebook.com/NCJSC/posts/1066713943419862

If the link doesnt work then please visit and LIKE the Northern California Japanese Sword Club Facebook page.

It was another great year, we enjoyed hosting everyone, old and new, all we spoke to had a good show.

On behalf of the NCJSC Thank You!

-tch

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

08/27/16

8:39 p.m.

A heartfelt thanks to Fred, Tom, the members of the NCJSC, and everyone who helped organize and make this year's S.F. show such a success. Everyone I spoke to at the show had a great time, and the dealers all seemed to have a very successful and profitable show. The prices at this year's show seemed very reasonable overall, and there was a huge variety of items on display, for sale, and available for study. In my opinion, this is the best sword show in the country. It is a great opportunity to reconnect with old friends and new collectors, and to meet some of the most knowledgeable experts and collectors in the Nihonto and Tosogo world today. The NCJSC really knows how to put on a top-notch event. Bravo! Can't wait until next year.

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi)  

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..