Dear Nihonto-Lovers,

I already wrote about it, but a serious upgrade happened, and so I want to inform you again.

From 24.10.2016 to 05.11.2016 the Rudolf Ott Collection will take place at Hermann Historica.

A wonderful catalogue will be made and I think, it is a very big and wonderful collection.

A few words to Rudolf Ott. But please, don’t take them as facts. It is more or less urban legend.

Rudolf Ott started colleting short after WW II. In the early 1950 he went for several months to Japan. He lived there and he brought some items back. In Munich he had a pharmacy and he was very well connected. An Auction House in the same house and an uncle, who was a dealer in antiques. And so he build up a very good collection. As an example, he owned a Kiyomaro before the blade was polished and papered. Sometime in the 1970 he stopped collecting. Means, he never bought anything again, but he didn´t sell anything either. And so this is an old collection.

But he was never in swords. He loved Armor, Helmets, etc. Swords were more or less a side effect.

You can still find some, but it is not high quality. A Daisho by Kanemoto for instance (something for Chango). But a later generation.

What can you find there: a myochin carp, a helmet with 128 plates, tsubas, books, whatever….

So, and now comes the interesting part: Hermann Historica invites us to take a look at the whole collection before anyone else. The date is 24.09.2016. A month before the auction.

The plan is, that we have 4 or 5 hours. Even if you are not in for Armor or if you don´t want to buy anything, this is the whole collection together for the last time. And it is the biggest collection in Armor for a single collector. At least here in Europe.

But now the bad news: if you want to come and stay overnight: Forget it! It is Oktoberfest (a.k.a. Die Wiesn). It´s the second weekend and our friends from Italy will march in. And then Munich goes from crazy to nuts.

Please inform me via PM, if you want to come. We can make better plans then.

Hope, to see you there

Uwe Grabowski

post-699-0-39090300-1466880320_thumb.jpg

post-699-0-20907000-1466880448_thumb.jpg

post-699-0-00653100-1466880500_thumb.jpg

Usually the auction is here: Linprunstr. 16, 80335 München.

But  Hermann Historica decided, that there is not enough space. So, they have a Hall nearby.

And in case you missed my first post here is a small part of The Rudolf Ott collection: http://www.nihontophoto.com/#!die-sammlung-ott/ewf3g

Uwe G.

• 1 month later...

Dear Nihonto-Lovers,

I already wrote about it, but a serious upgrade happened, and so I want to inform you again.

From 24.10.2016 to 05.11.2016 the Rudolf Ott Collection will take place at Hermann Historica.

A wonderful catalogue will be made and I think, it is a very big and wonderful collection.

A few words to Rudolf Ott. But please, don’t take them as facts. It is more or less urban legend.

Rudolf Ott started colleting short after WW II. In the early 1950 he went for several months to Japan. He lived there and he brought some items back. In Munich he had a pharmacy and he was very well connected. An Auction House in the same house and an uncle, who was a dealer in antiques. And so he build up a very good collection. As an example, he owned a Kiyomaro before the blade was polished and papered. Sometime in the 1970 he stopped collecting. Means, he never bought anything again, but he didn´t sell anything either. And so this is an old collection.

But he was never in swords. He loved Armor, Helmets, etc. Swords were more or less a side effect.

You can still find some, but it is not high quality. A Daisho by Kanemoto for instance (something for Chango). But a later generation.

What can you find there: a myochin carp, a helmet with 128 plates, tsubas, books, whatever….

So, and now comes the interesting part: Hermann Historica invites us to take a look at the whole collection before anyone else. The date is 24.09.2016. A month before the auction.

The plan is, that we have 4 or 5 hours. Even if you are not in for Armor or if you don´t want to buy anything, this is the whole collection together for the last time. And it is the biggest collection in Armor for a single collector. At least here in Europe.

But now the bad news: if you want to come and stay overnight: Forget it! It is Oktoberfest (a.k.a. Die Wiesn). It´s the second weekend and our friends from Italy will march in. And then Munich goes from crazy to nuts.

Please inform me via PM, if you want to come. We can make better plans then.

Hope, to see you there

Uwe Grabowski

Hello Uwe,

sorry to say, but this is not the biggest collection here in Germany. It is one here that is easy 5-10 times bigger.Include high quallity Armor, Helmets and Swords.

Tom

Hello Uwe,

sorry to say, but this is not the biggest collection here in Germany. It is one here that is easy 5-10 times bigger.Include high quallity Armor, Helmets and Swords.

Tom

Tom,

it does not make much sense to mention that there is an even bigger collection for sale and leave it there... Are these mere rumours or hard facts?

Anyway, the Ott Collection looks like a great collection and will be a fantastic opportunity for everyone to see or even buy high-quality items.

Thank you, Uwe, for pointing this out and not keeping it as a secret opportunity for yourself!!!

Best,

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I think tomorrow you can see the results. And then you will just fall on you back.

Helmets  Nr. 31 estimated 3.800 EUR      SOLD 40.000  EUR

Nr.  58 estimated   900 EUR      SOLD 58.000   EUR

Uwe G.

Edit. results are online

...there was this Oiyebo Mempo for 34.000 EUR...

Is this a realistic price for a mempo???

Good question, Andi!

It seems like the menpo was signed with an ancient kanji for "Kuni". This together with the workmanship made some advanced collectors think that this menpo was in fact made by a famous armor maker named Kunitaka. Maybe someone has additional info on this maker.

Best,

Chris

Hello all,

I just wanted to write, what happened in the auction.

First of all, I have to thank the people of Hermann Historica. They are very helpful, nice and friendly and whatever you ask, they never lose their temper. Great people.

The auction itself was very interesting. A lot of people and you had the chance to meet guys you only know from the NMB. Some old and new friends and the other ones.

And then: Heaven and Hell, Hope and Despair, Testosterone and Headshaking. Just a lot of fun! The last chance to see the collection as a whole.

Some helmets and armors are already gone. The Myochin Koi is still there. But not for long. Last chance to see it.

I think for the next 20 years there is not such an auction in Europe.

Uwe G.

• Like 3

Good question, Andi!

It seems like the menpo was signed with an ancient kanji for "Kuni". This together with the workmanship made some advanced collectors think that this menpo was in fact made by a famous armor maker named Kunitaka. Maybe someone has additional info on this maker.

Best,

Chris

Firstly, this menpo was forged out of one piece of iron which is a very rare feat, with very few armourers having the skill level necessary for such an accomplishment. The two armourers known for this type of work were Ryoei and Kunitaka and they were famous even back in the Edo period. Ryoei especially was very well known and though he never signed his work, they are quite distinctive and fairly easy to spot, but very rare. His contemporary (and reputed student) Kunitaka was said to forge masks that were even better quality than Ryoei (especially in the quality of iron) and this is the only Kunitaka that I have ever seen (I own a Ryoei). The quality looked to be quite superb and I think a lot of collectors recognized this, as is reflected in the price achieved.

As an aside, although the auction house called this mask an Oie-bo, it is not an Oie-bo which was a very specific style of mask reserved for the bakufu that was made by the Iwai school of armourers.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..