Nagamitsu Gendaito

paulb

Dear All

Some of you may remember I sold a collection for a friend last year. Included amongst them were a Showa period Nagamitsu and an Emura blade. Both swords were purchased by the same person. As a result of a change of circumstances and focus He has now decided to sell the Nagamitsu blade and asked me to help. So as a first step I am relisting it here. Please be aware that I do not have the sword here so can only send the images I took originally. If interested I will put the potential buyer in touch with the owner to arrange payment and shipping.

I have copied an extract from my original description below together with a couple of images. Please PM me for additional images or information

The Price is $2500 plus shipping and paypal fees.

This blade has a very intricate hamon with saka-choji and small gunome built on an almost suguha midare nioi-guchi. There are clear areas where ko-nie runs through the hamon. I think it unlikely this blade has been re-polished since it was first made. The surface has suffered from rubbing and minor abrasion which limits the visibility of the hada and all detail in the boshi and hamon. However it is a very healthy blade and I would be confident that it would be greatly enhanced by a new polish.
The blade comes in a standard gunto mounting with a black painted metal saya. The retaining clip and the mekugi are missing from the tsuka.
Overall I think this is a very interesting gendaito by a highly regarded smith working in the war years. I think it will appeal to collectors of gendaito and military swords and is an important part of sword making in the 20th century.
The price reflects the current untouched condition

Nagasa 62.5cm (24.6")

post-15-0-38920100-1465997262_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-19668600-1465997291_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-30317900-1465997314_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-16720900-1465997318_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

With so much going on in the world at present this seems to have slipped under the radar so I am bringing it forward again.

Not my area but this is a good sword in untouched condition. I thought it a steal of a price when I sold it for the original holder. Now in an attempt to focus some thinking I have been asked to reduce the price. so for a limited time it will be offered at $2250 which is well below recent prices achieved by Nagamitsu blades in lesser condition.

Please pm me if interested

thank you

Hi Hamish

If you let me have your email address via pm I will mail what I have but the sword is not with me at present so they are the ones I took for the original sale.

Regards

Paul.

and BTW if you have seen any of my images you will know that "good" doesnt usually appear in the description of my photographic skills :)

however I think they will give you an idea of what is there.

edit

Sorry over reacted reading at the wrong time.

I tend not to put a lot of images up for two reasons

1. They take up space and provided there is enough to create curiosity I am always happy to send more to any one who  is interensted

2. If someone buys a sword whether they publicise it or share images should be their choice. So I try to keep such communication one to one.

So far it has worked ok. You may be right but I dont have many images here and the sword is with the current owner. If anyone wants to see what I have I will send them, if they need more I will ask the owner to supply.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Dear All

I waned to raise this again. When I originally sold this sword there were a number of people interested and some disappointed when it sold and they missed it.

This time round I think my timing was very poor and it got lost amongst a lot of other  military sword sales activity as well as various weird things happening in the world. For whatever reason it didn't sell last year.

The current owner wants to move it on. He has also mentioned that he would be interested in trading it as part of a deal for an older sword.

If you are interested please let me know and I will put you in touch with the owner (based in the EU) .

If you require additional images I have a few from the first time round sale and I can ask the owner for more.

The price remains at $2250 and a donation will be made to the board as usual if the sword sells to a member.

thanks and Best Regards

Paul

Archived