Shape And Age Of Kabuto

Higo-san

Dear all,

a friend of mine has seen an interesting looking kabuto at a local dealer and was interested in getting some preliminary information on the shape and age of the helmet (modern repro or at least late Edo).

He has asked for more pictures but unfortunately the business is on holiday this week.

Can someone nevertheless provide a first assessment?

Thanks,

Chris

post-2242-0-74134500-1465977896_thumb.jpeg

Chris, Certainly not a modern reproduction and probably Edo period, but odd. The pronounced arching of the koshimaki (the plate that runs around the base of the bowl) over the peak is  far from common and might give a clue as it its maker. Get your friend to have a look inside and see if there is a signature on the inside of the back plate of the bowl.

Ian Bottomley

• Like 3

Uwe,  I know exactly what you mean but as far as  I can see the bowl does look to have some age. If you look at the flange of the koshimaki  just above where the fukigayeshi should be, you can see the iron has the normal layers of kokuso and tonoko under the tetsu sabi nuri - I cannot see that a faker would bother to do that.  It is not the work of a professional armour for sure, the bowl is too deep and the arching koshimaki prevents both the top plate of the shikoro and the peak from fitting properly - in fact I would guess the shikoro is off another helmet. Amateur work or made by someone 'way out in the sticks'. I saw an armour in Matsue castle that was if anything even more ugly than this.

Ian Bottomley

Chris, Yes that explains it. The lower part of the zunari peak has been cut away and the remainder hammered outwards to attach the new peak to. The fact that it was a zunari explains why it looks too deep. You often see this trick done with 6 or 8 plate helmets, and surprisingly with a lot of Muromachi akoda nari kabuto, but I don't remember seeing a zunari that has been given the treatment before. A very interesting helmet - but still ugly.  :)  :)

Ian Bottomley

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..