Vagabond!

Fuuten

Hi everyone,

Although manga is not a traditional medium, I think one could say its a (visual), derivative of calligraphy or the old painters (and thus worthy on this forum:).

I would like to introduce those who aren't familiar with it to a graphic novel (chic words!), or manga about Miyamoto Musashi. Its a series that's been going for years and is still ongoing.

Being a story its fiction but somewhat (and in the general theme a whole lot), related to Japanese history. Written by the creator of Slam Dunk (famous name from the Shounen magazine (if I recall correctly. )), Takehiko Inoue.

I think for everyone who's interested in Japanese history, and especially weapons and the feudal era this series is very interesting. Although manga has a kind of negative undertone being something only for youth (outside Japan that is, or at least where i live), I think this series can entertain and interest people of all ages. The artwork is absolutely top notch and the story is at times action packed but overall a fantastic story, that's still not finished.

For me personally this is one of my all time favorite and most memorable manga i know of and follow.

Now a slight disclaimer as its simply impossible for me, and i assume most people outside Japan (except those who started buying and following this manga from the start in Japan), to afford and read all chapters on paper.

Because of that i read it online.

Please have a look/Begin reading!

http://www.thespectrum.net/manga_scans/?preview=manga_Vagabond

post-2850-0-53319400-1465243966_thumb.jpg

post-2850-0-33591500-1465244503_thumb.jpg

HiAxel ive enjoyed watching anime such as samurai x and samurai champloo and at the moment im half way through the hakuouki Shinsengumi series but never read any manga. I just read the 1st part on your link and enjoyed it and will probably read the others. I like the art. Shame we cant just scroll through. Thank you for sharing.

Greg

Hi Greg, and everyone else,

Good to see some of you already know and read it.

Greg, i think Vagabond is one of the more realistic series out there, from the way they hold the blades, the interiors almost everything seems a flawless old Japanese setting, that's what i really enjoy. I've even learned some things from it :)

The gore, i don't really mind, i mean its a comic. And it all the more reminds me what nihonto were actually for. To imagine living in that age like Musashi. To live that kind of life, what a difference compared to the current world.

I think i mentioned it in the first post, but every time i read it it i save the pages that speak to me the most, anatomy wise/graphically astounding or just funny. Maybe I'll share them here from time to time :rotfl:

post-2850-0-87746300-1465393385_thumb.jpg

post-2850-0-75434400-1465393403_thumb.jpg

So good!

• Like 1

Hi Axel, im already in number 8. Its different to anything ive read and ive always been fascinated by Musashi and his story. Cheers.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Personally I've read it so many times, but never been bored. Some parts are like the inclusion of a new mayor character. Different but none of the well made story and art, and really with some pages the art gets to me.

Also in reply to your first message (sorry, forgot to add it to my first reply), in the top of the screen somewhere you can change the background to black, i like that more myself. And you can navigate with < and > arrows. Maybe that's somewhat more pleasant to navigate, otherwise I'd suggest downloading the whole series and viewing it with an app called Simple Comic. I know there's a mac version of it, not entirely sure on windows, but pretty sure similar software exists.

And from my best pages folder:)

post-2850-0-74472100-1465652945_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

For the ones who're reading still, god I'm at the 70/1 battle again, this is by far my all time favorite battle in the series! Starting around volume 26. For the ones who don't want to read it all (takes a lot of time) - i suggest just checking the battle I'm referring too. If that doesn't give you a Vagabond addiction nothing will:)

- http://view.thespectrum.net/series/vagabond.html?ch=Volume+26&page=1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..