Tell Them Why This Is Fake...

Local auction site. I informed the seller that this was neither old, nor Japanese, nor real. He insulted me and told me to stay away from his auctions.

I notified the site, but as would be expected, they asked for proof it isn't as described. Of course, I should probably just leave it alone as I don't care much. But the principle is bothering me, as is the fact that someone is going to buy this. One of the worst looking fakes I have ever seen. Probably not even worth the cheap $20 odd it is currently at.

Anyways, I don't have the energy to type all the reasons that we have gone through countless times before, and since it isn't an exact match for one of the fakes in the guide above, I wanted to point them to this thread.
So....who wants to tell them that this is a fake, and why?

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/230182877/OLD_JAPANESE_KATANA_LEATHER_SCABBARD.html

You can't...probably for the best. :)

I was just hoping for a few comments here, as I am going to direct the site's customer service to the comments here, so they can hear it coming from others and not just me. Of course, I am so sure, I would give the seller $1000 if I was wrong..but there is no chance of that.

Brian,

it is undoubtedly a very bad attempt at faking a Japanese sword! Unfortunately you cannot punish someone for making such stuff, but it is almost criminal to offer this with that description. It is their duty to be informed about the goods they sell, As you wrote, this is not a KATANA, it is not old, and it is not Japanese.. 

Tsukamaki......wrong. Fittings.......wrong. "Kanji" on blade.....wrong. Profile of "sharpening"......wrong.  As stated, this is not a Japanese katana and is an extremely poor imitation; even the Chinese fakes are better than this.

I left an example like this out on top for the trash men a few weeks ago. These things have been around a while (I obtained mine exactly like the one in question about 20 years ago) and they  kind of fall into the souvenir category more than one that's an attempt to fool anybody I think. Of course its selling it as real which is the problem here. 

Not even close to an acceptable fake that could "possibly" trick people who know a little bit about Japanese Swords. It is almost laughable except for the fact that some poor soul that doesn't know nihonto from rice cakes may actually pay something for this bad. For some more knowledgeable folks it actually makes a lot of the other products they DO NOT know about, questionable as well. and the entire site is off the radar for me to even look for anything = ruins the sites credibilty.

Too bad the sponsors and owners of the site do not care if they are party to this type of fraud on its customers.

Brian,

The item at question is an ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS FAKE !  In the past, I used to be bothered by the lack of proper vetting in the marketplace but, have given up in frustration long ago.  It has been my experience that sightholders with offerings such as this DO NOT CARE as, unfortunately- REWARD OUTWEIGHS RISK !  Brian, I appreciate your pure and true nature and commend you on it but, you can't save everyone.   CAVEAT EMPTOR.

StevenK

Local auction site. I informed the seller that this was neither old, nor Japanese, nor real. He insulted me and told me to stay away from his auctions.

I notified the site, but as would be expected, they asked for proof it isn't as described. Of course, I should probably just leave it alone as I don't care much. But the principle is bothering me, as is the fact that someone is going to buy this. One of the worst looking fakes I have ever seen. Probably not even worth the cheap $20 odd it is currently at.

Anyways, I don't have the energy to type all the reasons that we have gone through countless times before, and since it isn't an exact match for one of the fakes in the guide above, I wanted to point them to this thread.

So....who wants to tell them that this is a fake, and why?

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/230182877/OLD_JAPANESE_KATANA_LEATHER_SCABBARD.html

Hi Brian

Thank you for spotting this.

My name is Alex and am a category manager at bidorbuy. You can contact me directly at alex@bidorbuy.co.za - I have an interest in Japanese swords but I am no expert. I have asked the seller to give an account of this items authenticity by COB today.

I doubt he will be able to provide as this does not look original to me.

Please if you spot anything else pertaining to swords or weapons on our site that are "not as described" or counterfeit please let me know. It is a never ending struggle limiting these sort of products on bidorbuy.

• Like 14

Hi Brian

Thank you for spotting this.

My name is Alex and am a category manager at bidorbuy. You can contact me directly at alex@bidorbuy.co.za - I have an interest in Japanese swords but I am no expert. I have asked the seller to give an account of this items authenticity by COB today.

I doubt he will be able to provide as this does not look original to me.

Please if you spot anything else pertaining to swords or weapons on our site that are "not as described" or counterfeit please let me know. It is a never ending struggle limiting these sort of products on bidorbuy.

:thumbsup: :clap:

Good attitude from an online auction venue, well done :clap:

Will certainly contact you when I see any militaria that I can prove to be other than as described. Feel free to ask anything here too, and let me know if you would like to see a few genuine Japanese swords sometime. There are a few of us collectors here in SA.

Thanks for contacting us.

Brian

• Like 1

I saw every day such fakes on egun and inform the operator of this site. They never answer, never do anything. Egun is full with fakes and crime.

Terrible.

Very honorable of the manager of this site.

Best

Chris

• Like 1

Good attitude from an online auction venue, well done :clap:

Will certainly contact you when I see any militaria that I can prove to be other than as described. Feel free to ask anything here too, and let me know if you would like to see a few genuine Japanese swords sometime. There are a few of us collectors here in SA.

Thanks for contacting us.

Brian

Thank you for the kind words.

I spoke to this seller about this item and he has had not sought any professional advice on this sword. He showed it to some people who told him that it looked authentic. I replied that it has been reported as being a modern Chinese made weapon and that numerous people in a forum dedicated to Japanese weaponry have highlighted many incongruities in his listing. It seems that he honestly thought otherwise. 

By mandate of our COO I have changed the description and title of the listing. I have also contacted all bidders and informed them of the nature of the weapon - as well as offering them the option to delete their bids. Almost all of them have taken me up, but one or two have decided to go ahead and bid as they just like the look of the weapon. The seller was lucky - I thought our COO would just delete his item.

I did not know we had any Japanese sword aficionados and collectors in SA. I would LOVE to see an original sword or collection. I have a limited knowledge of Japanese swords but can tell the difference between an uchigatana and a tachi - which I think is better than most people.

Regards

Alex

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..