Customs Advice - Australia

Hi All,

I have a sword that has been sitting with customs for about a week though I didn't receive a letter for Aus Post re: paying duty on the item.

I called customs and they emailed me the details that I needed to complete and I chose to go through an online broker.

Apparently to classify the sword as antique they require that a "certificate of Antiquity issued by a recognised association or authority will need to be supplied". Has anyone come across this before as I've never received a certificate of antiquity with any sword purchased before.

cheers,

Ben

• Like 1

Maybe you could post photos here and we (the board) could certify it as an antique. 

On a side note: I'm not sure why you guys in these countries dont throw the goofs out of office that write these ludicrous laws!  Sorry if my short rant distracted anyone from my main point.

I received a sword (Nihonto) a couple of weeks ago. It took almost 3 weeks once it hit our shores to get to me. Having dealt with the idiots at Border farce and the lunacy that goes with our current politically driven crap that they regurgitate I have found that the best approach is to let them take their time and it will arrive without issue. Over the last 10 years I have had increasing delays and a number of missing items (sticky fingers) that eventuallyl get returned with some legal pressure I have to fill out their forms regularly and I have never been asked to have the blade authenticated. I might be wrong and something may have changed in the last 2 weeks but I suspect using a broker was the cause of your misfortune as it is the only times I hear of such stories. Like using UPS will result in you owing excessive duties that would otherwise not apply.

Kam

Hi Ben,

I've come across this a few times, they select at random any item that is valued over $1000. Then they get to tax you (GST) on the total value,

You need to get the "B374-Importdeclaration-goodN10Post_Submit" form from the customs web page, search for B374 (you can download it and fill it in/save etc) fill it in and submit. (It's known as N10, or import declaration)

Use description as : antique sword etc

for  Tariff code use: 93070000

the Stat code is :     20

this should put you in the correct catagory (as an importer of these type of goods) and all you do then is pay the GST amount to be able to get your sword.

If you go to a broker, they will salivate at the prospect of you as a customer---- they charge like wounded bulls!!

This should cut the middle men out and save you some money.

Cheers

BTW- i've never needed "certificate of Antiquity issued by a recognised association or authority will need to be supplied"

with the above method.......only proof of purchase and value as reciepted.

Thanks. The broker cited this document as to the need for the certificate. Though, from my reading that just means you can import them duty free.

I assume I just pay tax with no certificate but can still classify them as antiques.

The recommendation is to classify them as "normal swords" - though this doesn't sound right to me and I dont want Aus Post thinking they are dangerous goods and refusing to handle them...

https://www.border.gov.au/Factsheets/Documents/importingantiquesfactsheet.pdf

Ben

Ben, i'd be surprised if the broker gave you the correct tariff code aswell.

Doing it this way means you act as an importer yourself, the tariff class is the correct one for antique swords etc. Do a search for tariff codes and you should see under this code what is allowed, your sword will be allowed, it's just the gst they charge on the value that you will have to pay-no other duties.

I've never had an issue with Australia post like this.

If it is shipped by Fedex you'll get double the rip off, as they charge more, and still put it through this process.

Remember this is only if the declared value exceeds $1000, if the seller declares it under that you should have no worries.

Thanks - the broker recommended the same tariff code 93070000 which is "normal swords". I'll let you know how long it takes to get through.

I only went the broker route as when I called customs they told me it could take 10 days if I do it myself. I only paid $99 for a "3 hour turn-around" via ecustomsbroker.com.au which will be worth it if it saves me 2 weeks of hassle ;)

Ben

Sounds like South African customs.
I once imported an inexpensive sword, using the correct tariff heading for antiques. We still pay 14% vat on antiques, but at least there aren't further duties.

The customs official demanded the same thing you have just mentioned. "A certificate of Antiquity issued by a recognised association or authority"

They said I need to prove it is an antique, or they would charge regular duties.
I asked who issues that certificate. They said they don't know. I said so how am I supposed to provide one? They said it is my problem. I asked if they would accept a letter from the seller or a local sword club, and they said no, that is not a recognized authority.
This went round and round in circles until I just paid the full duties. Sometimes you can't win, because they make the rules.

I just had the painful experience of importing a sword from Japan. Tracked it all the way via FedEx to Australia, then FedEx contact me to ask a few questions, because apparently it's too difficult to read the declaration and google a word you don't know. I provide a long and detailed description in response, along with VERY CLEAR instructions to contact me PRIOR to handling the sword, if it is absolutely necessary.

So the sword hits the center in Sydney and is opened. No call. I'm pretty unimpressed after the effort I went to to both explain the item is not subject to ANY restriction as a katana and giving an even better description.

Sword passes after a few days delay. Upon opening the package and bubble wrap (covered in 'opened by FedEx' tape) I find the tip of the kissaki has been blunted by some idiot who would have pulled the sword out without any care whatsoever.

I've lodged a complaint but expect it to be turned around on me somehow, since no one is capable of accepting responsibility anymore.

My best advice;

Declare as a 'samurai sword' with a low value so it's not stolen and even the most ignorant fool will know what it is. Less chance of being opened and damaged to.

I've imported two dozen military gunto without issue over a few years without the slightest worry. I had a NCO sword arrive a few weeks ago unopened, no delay. My only conclusion is FedEx are the problem. Avoid them like the plague!

Sorry to rant but I'm still angry.

• Like 1

I just had the painful experience of importing a sword from Japan. Tracked it all the way via FedEx to Australia, then FedEx contact me to ask a few questions, because apparently it's too difficult to read the declaration and google a word you don't know. I provide a long and detailed description in response, along with VERY CLEAR instructions to contact me PRIOR to handling the sword, if it is absolutely necessary.

Sorry to rant but I'm still angry.

That really sucks.. It kind of reminds me of a low quality tanto i had shipped from Japan to the Netherlands, and even though it shipped rather fast, extra costs from Fedex were quite high, about 25%. To which i contacted the person who oversaw shipping in the Netherlands, and he literally said it were costs for fedex, that they just bounced foward to me, but in the end you have no choice but to pay.

Then when unsheathing the tanto it was full of fingerprints from ignorant border inspection..

Its just terrible to ship these kinds of items.. but your story is even worse :sorry: 

When possible EMS is fantastic, absolutely no problem at all with French Customs. Was not the same with Fedex ...

Yes I was quite surprised at the speed given that the last time was with fedex....

This time there was a sticker on the box stating that it had been opened by Japanese customs prior to departure and was deemed safe for air transport. It was not even opened or examined at Sydney customs.

When possible EMS is fantastic, absolutely no problem at all with French Customs. Was not the same with Fedex ...

You've hit the nail on the head! I have never had a parcel opened, damaged or questioned before and I've imported and exported dozens of gunto. This was my first and hopefully last time using FedEx.

9307.00.00 is swords, bayonets, cutlasses, and is a great code to use if you want customs to destroy your item where weapons are prohibited. 

9706.00.00 is what you want to use, which is antiques greater than 100 years old. If you don't use this code, then you basically force a broker to stop the package so someone can read the description and assign a code to it. When the assign the code you may get something like 9307 (do not ever use 9307!!!!) and then you're boned. You will have to pay duty as well as tax or have it destroyed or confiscated and get yourself a real pain in the ass of having to prove what it is. Customs have powers that are second only to god. If they decide it is a 9307 then it is and it's up to you to prove differently.

The main differences are:

1. one is a weapon period, the other is an antique

2. one is dutiable, the other is duty free

If you have a Showa era antique you can still use the collectors items of historical/ethnographic interest (and other types fall in here). You can even try that on a sword made by a licensed Japanese swordsmith from Japan since they are licensed by the government for the reason of perpetuating a historical artform. A Japanese-like sword made in China, Taiwan, USA, etc. cannot be classified as one of these. Basically the WWII sword is a collector's item of historical interest and the modern made but licensed sword is an item of ethnographic interest (i.e. culturally significant). 

9705.00.00 should be duty free but I never tried it myself so your mileage may vary and it may be a country to country thing.

It is duty free for Australia:

https://ftaportal.dfat.gov.au/code/97050000/tariff?option=jpn-import&search=9705.00.00

If I haven't made myself clear NEVER USE 9307.00.00 !!!!!!!! 

I made a huge post on this before. 

Do your homework before sending something and overdocument it. Make sure the vendor knows to put these codes on it. If you are sloppy then when customs does your tidying for you, you get to listen to them tell you how it is. Then everything is on your head to fix it. The reason being that so many people are trying to burn their own countries out of tax revenue and sneak stuff in or out that countries have found there to be a need to issue draconian powers to their customs officials. It's been like this for like a thousand years.

• Like 1

One other thing you can do for each other, which Ted does and I do, and I learned from Condell, is to wrap the blade in saran wrap when you send it. Go on the mune side, wrap it around, and then carefully use scissors to trim it. Then slide into the shirasaya carefully and then bind the tsuka in place with more wrap. Just one layer and not thick at any point.

This does two things:

1. Anyone inspecting it can't get fingerprints on it

2. Stops the blade from vibrating in sympathy with a truck engine, wheels on a dirt road, various carts or whatever else it may be on shaking and then scratching or buffing from rubbing against the shirasaya.

3. If the blade is inspected and not properly replaced into the shirasaya then you won't have damage from the bigger problem of sliding in and out of the shirasaya when it goes back into the box.

The goal is to always be ahead of the curve so nobody wants to open your box. Then you want to have some failsafes in place in case they do go into the box. 

A note on the inside explaining what the contents are, rare and delicate and please be careful, goes a long way too. If you're shipping and you care about what you're shipping, this method is very beneficial. It takes more work, but it's better than insurance paying off for a new shiage.

• Like 5

Sounds like a lot of different ways of handling customs, we have quite hassle free customs procedure (you can do it through internet and use your banking credentials to verify and pay tariff immediately so they free the parcel to post) but they tax everything, no matter if it is antique or not. Recently I was told from the logistics company that I can prepare myself to pay tariff on polishing costs etc. services done in Japan when my blades arrive... oh the joy....

But very good tips to follow in this chain.

Antti

Excellent info, and a reminder to all that this forum will not be used to discuss ways to get around a legal system. We are not a "how to smuggle" forum, so we WILL advise the proper way to do things, and not how to get around various laws. We can advise how to simplify things, how to deal with situations, and how to best use the services available. But we cannot advise ways to break the law. And this is for obvious reasons. I know for a fact that stuff on forums has been used for penalties against shippers/receivers before.

Anyways, not saying that is being done here, this is just a general reminder. Darcy's advice is sound. It is also near the top of the For Sale Section in a nice long stickied note. " Importing/Exporting and Customs queries and advice"

One thing I have come across, and have been unable to solve is a customs official who says "prove this is an antique!"
Unless your sword is papered or expensive, you probably only have a note or invoice from the seller, and that has proven unacceptable in my experience. So you might end up in a catch 22 where you pay duties anyways since there is no procedure to verify a sword is antique, and in most countries, no society to verify it either.

• Like 1

I've used saran wrap for many years but I oil the blade first.  Works very nice for better swords!

I was wondering about that. Ive always been concerned with using saran wrap incase condensation occurs?, but maybe I worry too much.

I place a simple note in the box in the language of wherever its going, I use google translate. Not the best I know, but hopefully adequate. I also leave out photocopies of the shinsa papers with clear explanation of what they are.

I was talking to Aoi a while ago, they sent me pics of a sword that had been examined by customs who never wrapped it back up properly, full of scratches.

I sent out a sword a while ago, i found a thick cardboard tube, wrapped the sword in bubble wrap, put the sword in the tube, then in a box. My hope was that it would put customs off with too much messing about. It got there ok, but i suppose stuff like that can also maybe backfire.

Always a worry.

If you oil the blade as Bill suggests, then put saran wrap on it, there's going to be no issues with anything. When the wrap comes off the oil will be compressed in some places differently so you will see a rainbow effect from light diffraction, but you just wipe and the oil is gone. It's a really good method for shipping. 

I have received such things as Tokubetsu Juyo swords and had them vibrate in the shirasaya and cause some burnishing because of that. Saran wrap would have saved a thousand dollar shiage required to fix these things. 

• Like 3

Somewhat different, but really there are countries (ie. China), although not a great example, customs are highly biased and untrustworthy, not to mention carriers. I mention China since via work we happen to have mostly customers there, and even with a stack of the right papers stamped, signed etc, you can never guarantee anything unfortunately (then again, having someone at the border really helps, in which case it'll just pass without problems).

I think the saying make it too much work is quite useful.

I wish they'd make their mind up...!

May 24, 2016 , 3:09 pm

Held in Customs

MELBOURNE EMS, AUSTRALIA

Your item is being held in Customs at 3:09 pm on May 24, 2016 in MELBOURNE EMS, AUSTRALIA.

May 24, 2016 , 5:08 am

Customs Clearance

AUSTRALIA

May 23, 2016 , 11:50 am

Held in Customs

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA

May 23, 2016 , 10:29 am

Processed Through Facility

AUSTRALIA

May 23, 2016 , 9:24 am

Departed

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

May 23, 2016 , 1:49 am

Customs Clearance

AUSTRALIA

• 3 months later...

I recently shipped 2 swords (1 package) to Australia that totaled over $1000 on 8/8. They hit Australia 8/14 and have been "Held in Customs" in Melbourne since 8/15. I shipped via USPS priority mail international in which I've never had any problems until this time. Have had stuff held up in customs in Australia for a week or so, but never pushing 3 weeks. I know if I contact USPS I'll get the "it's out of our hands and in their customs... Nothing we can do" shpeel. On the customs form I declared each sword as "Antique sword for display."

I've tried to let time work it all out but now it seems like it's gone beyond a reasonable inspection time. Any website or number I can refer to buyer to to get things moving along? TIA.

Hi Brandon,

I just cleared a sword on Tuesday. The sword will be held pending payment of 10% GST and 5% duties, plus $50 because apparently you also have to pay to have you item held.

In around 5 days after it is first held you SHOULD get a postal notification. That contains all the info you need to get the sword released and pay the taxes. I highly recommend using a customs broker. I used ebroker, one of the first brokers that appears in a search after the ads. That costs another $77, but also saves you ANOTHER $90 fee customs will charge for 'manual processing'. It works out cheaper and they offer a 48 hour turn around. They do all the work, easy form, just be aware that the card you use to pay their fee is charged the taxes, so have the funds there!

Contact numbers are;

Aus Post (contact them, once it is in country they take over from international postal services. Great service to while it remains a public institution). Phone 13 13 18

All they can really do is advise where the parcel is.

Border Force (customs). Phone 131 881 or 1300 558 287 to beat the 'call back later' message.

BF can explain why the parcel is being held and also provide a unique number and instructions via email that are instant and negate the need to wait for the postal notice.

There are no restrictions on sword importation so it's just a matter of paying the taxes. Nothing to stress over. Mail probably got lost. They try email if they can and if they don't get a response in a couple of weeks usually. Just contact them and get it sorted out. I was told they hold a parcel for 2 months before returning to sender.

• Like 2

Happy to help Brandon.

International calls from overseas: +61 3 8847 9045

You may like to call Auspost yourself and confirm the status of the delivery. I've received my own sword but the tracking still shows as held in customs. Sometimes the tracking information on USPS does not reflect the actual status of the delivery.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..