Tsuba Signed Hirotoshi?

Kurikata

Just me maybe, but it has an air of "non-Japanese" or maybe modern made. I could be completely wrong (easily) but I am just going by gut feel.

Not to say it isn't a nice tsuba, just there are a few things and lines that aren't quite true. Has been mounted though,so I am probably completely wrong.

Thank you for your comments. This tsuba (modern or not) shows great skills in inlaying flat shakudo in a very tense suaka base. The shakudo mimi in addition make me think the tsubako wasn't a "beginner". Anyway I would like to know who is that artist if any one can help.

Thank you again

I agree it looks like 廣利, of which two are listed in Wakayama (both late Edo).

I was hoping either entry would give me a clue as to the right side, but I'm not getting anything.

It looks like 若弟子, but I can't figure out the top kanji., 

弟子 (deshi) means apprentice, if that helps any.   

• Like 1

Finnaly , why signature couldn't be : 後藤 弟子廣利 (Goto deshi Hirotoshi)

Would this make sense?

It is possible it could say something like that.

The first two kanji aren't 後藤. They are 好若 or something like that. Neither of the two Hirotoshis listed in my reference are part of the Gotō clan. The first one in the reference is from near Hiroshima, and seems to be an independent artist. The second one is from a different school (not Gotō). 

So, it could possibly be something like "Disciple of Yoshiwaka" (好若弟子). However, for some reason I feel like 弟子 is a bit presumptuous. 入門 sounds more appropriate (modest), to me. So I was wondering if the 弟子 refers to someone other than the artist himself. (Or maybe I have misread it).

Hi. I like the base metal,the shakudo mimi (rim) looks nice.What i think puts me off is the front axe appears to have its head offset to clear the seppa . It just seems a little squeezed. The other axe seems to close to the rim and crosses the seppa. Just my opinion.

Will try to find this smith

@ Steve : Thank you Steve for you efforts.... It is always very helpful to have someone knowing Japanese cultural angles

@ Brian: I would strongly support you in having Ford giving some clues, especially when we come to metal work. 

@ Peter: Should you find the artist names... You are more than welcome.

In addition, I scanned the Tsuba for an other metal analysis....

post-2467-0-14705500-1458679931_thumb.jpg

Good morning chaps.,

Guido's pointing in the right direction.

This is more suited to John S's area of expertise,  so with his permission:

Similar motifs are found on Chinese Porcelain:

The Axe represents justice, authority. Emblem of Lu Pan, God of Carpenters, also the symbol of go-betweens. (One of the classic 12 ornaments).

The Gourd originally represented mystery, necromancy, longevity, science, medicine, science of magic. A charm to ward off evil influence. Emblem of - Li Tieguai - of "The Eight Immortals".

I have seen menuki with the Axe and Hyotan combined on Ted  Tenold's site, but I don't know what the significance is.

Pip Pip

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..