Wtb Edo Era Saya

tokashikibob

Gents,

Acquired a pretty decent mumei edo katana recently that has a arsenal scabbard shell.   I don't think these were together originally and somehow in the past they became mates.

Looking for a basic non fancy edo Saya for a 27.5 inch blade with 1/4 -1/2 sori drop.    Will swap a good clean Meg instead of cash if interested.

Best Regards,

Bob

post-1449-0-32857000-1457876718_thumb.jpg

post-1449-0-42722700-1457876754_thumb.jpg

post-1449-0-81778100-1457876884_thumb.jpg

Generally its not really appropriate and not good for the blade to fit it with just another saya, even if you could find one it could fit. They are made to be a perfect fit, one by one.

I'd suggest to either let a new saya be made and lacquered, or send it in for a new shirasaya, (personally i think a standard shirasaya is quite elegant, and a high quality one even better).

I wish the wood shop was still aboard Camp Lejeune. I'd be in business, doors closed due to it was not making enough money for MCCS.   I made many nice cabinets there for the wife.   Anyway,  i was looking for a project, spilt it apart, chisel it out as needed.    The sword is good,  but not going to be on my togishi wanted list.

On a side note,  looked at Fuller's and guess the scabbard with it is a civilian military mount?   Also, looking at the arsenal stamp and comparing it to the book,  Manchuria stamp?

Best Regards,

Bob

post-1449-0-04675800-1457903605_thumb.jpg

Archived