family mon

Johannes

thank you both john and martin, im trying to do some research about mon , but its not so easy. especially for kiri mon i have heard there are up to a hundred different kiri mon in use in the feudal times all i know is 3-5-3 is toyotomi , 5-7-5 is the imperial line, an less pedals is lower ranked. may be one of you has a list with the different kiri mon.

thanks Johannes

Dear John,

Thanks for the post of the Mon book. Should pick it up.

You posted the one page with Mon similar to Johannes. I cannot see the kanji of the specific mon. Attached is an image of a mon tsuba by Isso (NBTHK Hozon, student of Ichijo). Can you identify the one mon that is similar to Johannes? I've tried web search before, but did not get a good answer for that mon.

Best regards,

post-51-14196742405537_thumb.jpg

post-51-14196742408158_thumb.jpg

Hi Curran, The book I mentioned does not give familial relationship to the kamon just the standardised descriptive of the elements within them. The circle with bars may be of Hatakeyama, Imagawa, Mogami or Satomi. The 4 pierced lozenges may be Kamei, Kimura or Sasa. Being as how they are in combination investigation for relation between any two of those combinations would have to be done to really know what families are represented here. Of course the names I gave you are major families using these mon. There could be hundreds of sub groups using any one or combination of mon. Sorry not much help. John

Thank you. I haven't learned much about Mon to date. Work has been seriously cutting into Nihonto time, so not sure this will be the Christmas season I put a Mon book into my own stocking.

Many of the late Edo kinko seem to have multiple mon mixed and matched on them.

According to this (still an amazing page with weeks worth of reading) it may be Katsumoto, or with the thicker width of the bars seen here, I think more likely to be Yamana?

http://www.geocities.com/kazenaga23/crests3.htm

Frequently runs out of bandwidth, so if it doesn't load, then try again in an hour. Also check out some of the other pages there.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..