Translation Help Needed For An Antique Tanto Mei On Both Sides?

Geoffry Persoon

Dear Geoffry,

Hard to make out but I think one side is the province, possibly Bishu no ju, and the other the smith.  Can't help you much but might be Kiyosada?

I;m sure others will chime in here but an overall picture of the blade would be useful, along with dimensions please.

All the best.

Stephen beat me to it.

Hello guys i have searched the internet for the smith but did not find much information on this guys name.

In some days i will post pictures of the complete tanto knife.

It looks more like a big kozuka knife to me.

Maybe this will help me out finding some more information.

Best regards

Maybe: 

Boshu ju Kiyosada 

This would be theorizing its Nio school then. It actually does help if you try to improve the legibility of the first character and to show the rest of the blade because the style will confirm the mei reading possibly.

I will point out that this split signature is a Chikuzen thing with the Samonji school. This crossed over the water into Nagato with Yasuyoshi. Nagato province is side by side with Suo province.

When I looked at the signing pattern and the name I didn't go right to Nio but it reminded me of Samonji and Kiyosada is not on any lists of students but there are Sada is a character in names of three of the students of Samonji. So someone needs to check a few generations down the road from here and see if that's coincidence or maybe this guy is a long way down on the Samonji school. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..