Sword Polishing

I find Hofhine's work to be excellent. Just because a Japanese sword polisher is Japanese doesn't by that simple virtue make him a better sword polisher. Also what kind of commission does one make in arranging sword polishing services in Japan?

One is not a better polisher just because he is Japanese, that's not what I meant.

I was referring to being traditionally trained in Japan the Japanese way vs. learning by doing.

• Like 1

While not bad work there's a level at which it's not financially viable to get a traditionally trained togishi to polish a blade, showato being a prime example where this type of polisher is ok if they're much cheaper. There's no question though that anyone who's completed a 7-11 year apprenticeship in Japan will be superior and to get anything less on a mediocre level+ nihonto would be throwing money away when it comes time to sell as no one in their right mind will be buying it without the thought of getting it repolished.

Mr Hofhine's work does appear to be getting better but I can still see some problems from those photo's and that's not including the foundation work which imho is the most important part and you can't really tell without the sword in hand.

The number one rule is getting the appropriate level of polish for the sword in question as for a sadamune say you wouldn't get anything lower than a mukansa and so on.

I have 5 swords undergoing polishing at present from a very good amateur up to a togishi who's placed first at the annual NBTHK polishing competition so it's not about elitism or being Japanese (there's many untrained Japanese people who are terrible at polishing as well) just getting the right level of polish for each sword.

• Like 7

I have 5 swords undergoing polishing at present from a very good amateur up to a togishi who's placed first at the annual NBTHK polishing competition so it's not about elitism or being Japanese (there's many untrained Japanese people who are terrible at polishing as well) just getting the right level of polish for each sword.

That is excellent advice.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..