Satsuma Tsuba

Teimei

:steamed: :steamed: :steamed: FINALLY!!! :steamed: :steamed: :steamed:

Sorry  :glee:  and hello everyone,

today i recieved a new tsuba, a kind of tsuba i was on the hunt right from the beginning when i started collecting nihonto and tsuba.

Like a lot of people, i am quite fond of the satsuma clan (their history, the way how they´re koshirae looked...) and now i was able to buy a kyo-shoami tsuba from the 18th century with they´re mon as the theme. The steel is of great quality and the patina in nearly mint condition. The color of the steel is a bt darker than in the pictures. It came in a high class kiri-box and with an hozon certificate from the early 90´s.
The paper states that teh theme is the satsuma mon... at least i could recognize the cross-shaped kanji for it :) !

But i also so tsuba with nearly an identical theme that were described as kutsuwa(horse bit).

Is it a moot decision of the NBTHK or a specific way to seperate both theme´s from each other? Of course you are free to leave a comment.

dimensions:

80.55 mm  x  79.61 mm  x  5.51 mm thick

school:

kyo-shoami, 18th century

regards,

post-2703-0-55387700-1455275612_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-80693100-1455275629_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-32548200-1455275647_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-76567800-1455275686_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-17657600-1455275706_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The paper states that teh theme is the satsuma mon...

Well, I don't know how to put it more delicately, but the papers don't say anything like that. They say Kyō-Shōami (and therefore it isn't a Satsuma tsuba), and that the motif is jūmonji, i.e. shaped like the (Japanese) number 10 - quite common, not only in Satsuma. A very nice tsuba nontheless.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

so sorry for my lack of participation(kept a low profile at the weekend), but i am sure you had fun without me :laughing: !

1. I should really quit my job as soon as possible to learn some kanji! Thanks Guido and Pete for correcting me :beer:.

2. Some very nice examples of the same theme here, just keep on posting!

Yeah, my taste is quite puristic mostely simple iron sukashi tsuba with little or no decorations. Both hitsuana are plugged with silver. The job was not done yesterday but defenitely after the issue of the papers.

The second tsuba is nearly identical to mine, but a bit thicker and without an paper. Don´t know where Eric was at that time, but my tsuba was sent by USPS from NY.

regards,

The motif of this Tsuba hasn't anything to do with Satsuma, it shows a horsebit, a very common topic for a warrior class which was riding horses everyday: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Antique_Japanese_(samurai)_horse_bit_(kutsuwa).JPG

Hi Peter,

i have seen this design mentioned as Satsuma-Mon, Jumonji, Kutsuwa or simply as Cross-design. I just like the clean lines of it, wether or not it is in any way affiliated with satsuma or the shimazu-clan.

For the real fans, i looked for something 100% Satsuma and like always youtube blessed me with a little gem thumbs%20up.gif !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s75uRJBCFXw

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..