Any Way To Tell Generation Of Sword Maker On Yoshimichi Blade?

nightryder87

Pictures of the blade would be nice, though still may not get an answer.  Maybe the generations are distinguishable via more than just varying signature, or at least noticed mei variances could be better confirmed if there are other variances that go along and match the mei.  Just a thought, but I don't know s**t from shinola about blade schools, but rather like pictures of nihonto : ) 

-Grant G.

02/11/16

8:54 p.m.

Dear Alan:

In my opinion, the mei is consistent with the Yondai (4th) generation Mishima Yoshimichi (1673). I have numeorus oshigata of the various Osaka and Mishima school Yoshimichi smiths, and my money is on the Yondai. Check out the oshigata in Imura's Shinto Taikan. We frequently see wakizashi by the 4th generation Yoshimichi. Harry Watson's Fujishiro Shinto English translation lists him as chujosaku and wazamono. It would be great if you could post some photos of the hamon (should be sudareba), and the yakidashi (the last 2-3 inches of the hamon near the hamachi. The hamon in that area tends to drop down to a narrower hamon pattern than the rest of the hamon. The nakago-jiri is correct for the Yondai, from what I can see in the other oshigata. I have a personal affinity for Mishima Yoshimichi blades. Nice find.

If you email me at besheehan@aol.com, I will be happy to email you the oshigata examples I have of the Yondai Mishima Yoshimichi. 

Best regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi)

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..