Please Help With Translation Of Original Sword Transportation Bag !

Edward G

Hello All:

I hope someone can translate this cloth sword bag.  The sword and sword bag  was a war souvenir from the battle of  Iwo Jima by a local  Marine, whose daughter asked my assistance.  The sword itself appears to be an oil tempered Katana measuring 25" nagasa.  Further the sword contained in the bag appears to be a  WW2 Showa Period Katana in civilian mounts with the tang revealing a  showa seki stamp and a two character sword smith signature of HideToshi.  

The enclosed photos are of what I believe to be an original Sword Transportation Bag/Identification Label.   It has a message on both sides of the cotton bag. 

Any assistance with the translation of this cloth will be deeply appreciated.

Edward G

post-904-0-56681500-1455150257_thumb.jpg

post-904-0-67287200-1455150285_thumb.jpg

post-904-0-58181200-1455150342_thumb.jpg

Hello Edward,

The first one is an address and personal name (ranged in order from general to specific... i.e. the opposite of how we in the west address letters)

Nagasaki-ken
Minami Matsuura-gun
Narao-chō
Iwaseura-gō

UOTANI Shigetsugu 

The last picture is slightly strange because it says "unsigned", but clearly both the sword and the bag have names on them, so its a bit unusual. At any rate it says:

Name: Unsigned
Length: 2 shaku, 5 sun (shaku and sun are old Japanese units of measurement)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..