N B T H K - E B - Bonn 30-01-2016

The first meeting of the year of the ape was well attended with around 25 attendees. I tried to make some more detailed notes than usual, but it might be I got some names wrong - if so, my apologies.

It started with a minute of silence in remembrance of Michael Hagenbusch. His passing away was such a great loss for the club and he will he dearly missed but also fondly remembered.

post-355-0-37917600-1454249179_thumb.jpg

We had some top fittings related to the year of ape, brought along by Mr Eschbaum:

- F/K by Omori Teruhide with playfull trained monkeys to ward of evil

- Tsuba with monkey colony by Ishiguro Masayoshi

From the same schools we also got to enjoy

- Futatokoro mono with peony theme: kozuka by Omori Teruhide and kogai by his son

- Mitokoro mono by Ishiguro Masatsune - very special mei seeing it mentions the nanako artist seperately.

post-355-0-48865400-1454250135_thumb.jpg

post-355-0-88173600-1454250156_thumb.jpg

Next topic was Higo Shimizu fittings and koshirae. There was an excellent explanation by Prof Kremers.

We got to know where Nobunaga utsushi koshirae got their name. Not from Oda Nobunaga, but from a wakizashi koshirae where the wakizashi was by a smith called Nobunaga. He also pointed out the typical traits and features of those Nobunaga utsushi koshirae, being same covered saya, brown leather wrapping at the handle, yamamichi kashira, leather fuchi (lacquered), ichimai and Higo tsuba with large sukashi.

On display were a lot of fine Higo Shimizu fittings as well as 9 koshirae (although 1 was a Satsuma koshirae, brought along to point out how different they were compared to Higo koshirae). Prof Kremers also talked about the different styles in Shimizu tsuba and the wabi-cha influence on them.

post-355-0-78206400-1454251535_thumb.jpg

post-355-0-34091000-1454251573_thumb.jpg

post-355-0-35048800-1454251695_thumb.jpg

Had enough? Not really - we didn't have any swords yet! Although there wasn't a clear sword theme this time, members were encouraged to bring along swords for kantei. And they didn't disappoint - at all!

1. Sanekage tanto

2. Hosho (late kamakura)

3. KoHoki SIGNED Yasutsuna (orakeshi mei) - mid HEIAN!

4. Naginata naoshi Ukai Unju - around 1360

5. Yamato Shikake - early Nambokucho

6. Hizen Tadahiro nidai wakizashi

7. Enju - late kamakura

The owners explained the kanteipoints for their items which is always very educational. All in all a great meeting and a big thanks to the members for bringing such wonderfull items to learn from.

post-355-0-90440800-1454252378_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I know the eagle to be Tokubetsu Juyo. But I agree those Jinbei tsuba are top of the line. I usually don't bother trying to find out all the levels of papers, but a lot of tsuba, koshirae and swords were indeed Juyo. The level of items on those meetings really is baffling. The nanako of the Ishiguro was the finest I've ever seen, so incredibly small and consistent. Impossible to photograph, although I just take mobile pictures. They're intended to give an idea of the items there, nothing more!

Thomas - here is a link to the only shop I know of who does Shifuku: http://www.toukenkomachi.com/index_en_okatanafukuro.html

I have never used them for this but I have ordered books and never had a problem. They are a bit expensive as they are very complex to make.

Dirk - Yes, TBJ on the one. I wasn't sure about it but knew it was Juyo. Hanns has an extremely good eye and is also one of the nicest gentlemen I have met in this field.

Very humbling.

I've always liked the water ripple tsuba and see three there:   a Hirata, a Jingo, and a third kinko one that I cannot ID from the photo.

I am glad such works are shared at they are in Bonn.

Herr Hagenbusch will be greatly missed.

If not a moment of silence for him at the Tampa Show, then maybe a group toast to him at the informal evening party held in Tampa each year.

Keep in mind there are 35 Tokubetsu Juyo tsuba. You have 3% of the world supply with that one sitting in front of you. 

A lot of the time people don't see the big picture on some of these things. Tokuju always sounds impressive but you have to imagine it as there are a lot of tsuba in the world and the NBTHK singled out only 35 as something extremely special. 

I was just reading Dr. Honma saying that people (in his day) had already started to take for granted the ability to see great things. He said when they were starting out if they got access to a daimyo collection they would get extremely excited because they *might* get to see *one good sword* that day. And the idea of that made them a little giddy.

That is a pretty nice display that was put on for you guys and by you guys. Good job.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..