173 replies to this topic

#151 reeder

reeder

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:33 AM

Here's a few.

1) Type 94 with mumei blade that was beat up, but mounts were minty. Regrettably let this one go.
2) Type 98 w/ mon. Seller was so kind to shine up the fittings for me before shipping it out. This one also has shrapnel damage to the scabbard & tsuba. The blade just has some minor pitting from the opening and was fortunately not damaged itself from the shrapnel.
3) Type 3 with copper fittings & nice star stamped blade.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_3259.JPG
  • DSC_3267.JPG
  • IMG_6535.JPG
  • DSC_0662.JPG
  • DSC_4807.JPG
  • 074E886D-5313-484F-B0D5-56E98BC203F8.jpeg

Brandon

Collecting Type 98 & Type 3 Gendaito

#152 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 894 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:42 AM

Love that Type 3! Unusual leather wrap on the saya! You can see just from the curvature of the blade/saya that there is something special inside.

#153 reeder

reeder

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:27 PM

Love that Type 3! Unusual leather wrap on the saya! You can see just from the curvature of the blade/saya that there is something special inside.

The close up of the blade with the choji hamon is the blade in the Type 3 mounts.  The pictures are in pairs for the 3 swords.

Brandon

#154 reeder

reeder

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:47 AM

Aw man, I tried to drop an Easter egg in there, but nobody picked up on it.

Brandon

#155 Ed

Ed

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:22 AM

Gendaito by Akinori

:dunno:

Ed M.
http://yakiba.com/   For questions, please DO NOT contact me via PM.   If you have a question, or interest in an item, please contact me via the website: Yakiba.com@gmail.com

My comments are based on my own personal opinions and experiences and are not intended to influence others nor evoke argument or reprisal. 和

#156 Ed

Ed

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:26 AM

Gendaito by Akinori

Forgt to add the link to more photos: http://yakiba.com/Kat_Akinori.htm

** Damn, trying to remove the extra post or the photos. Not working out!!

Attached Thumbnails

• Kat_Akinori_Mei copy.jpg
  • Kat_Akinori_Activity_13.jpg
  • Kat_Akinori_KissA1.jpg
  • Kat_Akinori_FVO (1).jpg

• Bruce Pennington and PNSSHOGUN like this

Ed M.
http://yakiba.com/   For questions, please DO NOT contact me via PM.   If you have a question, or interest in an item, please contact me via the website: Yakiba.com@gmail.com

My comments are based on my own personal opinions and experiences and are not intended to influence others nor evoke argument or reprisal. 和

#157 Daniel

Daniel

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

That’s a beautiful blade Ed. Had my eyes on it for quite some time now.

#158 reeder

reeder

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:29 PM

Nice sword, shame the original wartime mounts are no longer with the blade.

Brandon

#159 Ed

Ed

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:57 PM

Yes, it is a shame.  I asked about the koshirae in hopes it was still available, but it was not.  Before Gendaito came into their own, most people didn't care too much for the swords and couldn't have cared less about the koshirae.

The Japanese were worse. In Japan once, I was digging around in the back of my partner's shop and opened a footlocker.  It was full, full of various Gunto and Kai-Gunto koshirae.  There were approx. 20-25 complete matched koshirae, and probably that many more mismatched tsuka, saya, tsuba, seppa, tassel's, everything that could have come off gunto. Also, there were probably 25 black lacquered saya of various lengths. Most wakizashi sized but a few katana length.

I asked, what are you doing with all those? He replied, they are just junk.  So I asked, what do you want for them? He said, you want them, you can have them. Gave me the whole damn box, including the box.

• hxv, reeder, Bruce Pennington and 1 other like this

Ed M.

#160 Ed

Ed

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:23 PM

Here is one more Gendaito for you guys, Teruhide.  This one was published in both F&G's, "Swordsmith's of Japan 1926-1945" and Slough's, "Modern Japanese Swordsmith's"

Here is the link for more photos: http://yakiba.com/Kat_Teruhide.htm

Attached Thumbnails

• Kat_Teruhide_Date-Mei_merge copy.jpg
  • Kat_Teruhide_Hakikake2.JPG
  • Kat_Teruhide_ActivityA2.JPG
  • Kat_Teruhide_FVO.JPG

• reeder likes this

Ed M.

#161 reeder

reeder

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:14 PM

Heard that dumping gunto mounts was the norm as you stated.  Nice examples, Ed.  I have only owned a single sword from Akihide or his students, an Akihisa that was in very rough shape, although the mounts were very nice.  Looking back, I wish I would have hung on to that one and restored it.  Like Stephen, I'm on the hunt for Takahashi Yoshimune & his students at the moment after picking up a couple by Hiromasa.

In regards to the Easter egg sword in my prior post, here's a hint...  look at the habaki in the 4th picture.  Someone made a very generous offer of $200 (yes, two-hundred) for it recently though it's not for sale.

Brandon

#162 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 894 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:05 PM

In regards to the Easter egg sword in my prior post, here's a hint...  look at the habaki in the 4th picture.  Someone made a very generous offer of $200 (yes, two-hundred) for it recently though it's not for sale.

Very interesting! Haven't seen one like that before. With the mon on the tsuka, I'd say this was an expensive custom job.

#163 Bazza

Bazza

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:33 AM

Brandon,

I did see your Easter Egg and had a question about it, but I am slow off my fat hakama.  I'll get there later today - have to go outside now and continue beating back Mother Nature (the cruellest bitch of all!!!).  Watch this space.

Barry "Gunnadoo" Thomas.

• Bruce Pennington likes this

#164 IJASWORDS

IJASWORDS

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • LocationNSW AUSTRALIA

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:20 PM

I am still taken by the minute detail found on some Gunto. This a 1943 "98 MASAYUKI showing clearly the gilt highlighted components, and clearly the two metals (brass and copper applique) on the Kabutogane and Sarute. Probably not high class, but high quality and workmanship for WW2. 

Gunto stuff took years to be appreciated for what it is, and I for one am thankful some beautiful stuff is being preserved and cared for.  

Attached Thumbnails

• nice2.jpg
  • nice1.jpg
  • nice3.jpg

Neil

#165 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 894 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:45 PM

Neil, do you have an idea as to whether the dimpling was done by hand, or was there a mold that they were mass produced in?

#166 IJASWORDS

IJASWORDS

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • LocationNSW AUSTRALIA

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:43 AM

Thought I would share this. 

Attached Thumbnails

• z20.JPG
  • z21.JPG
  • z22.JPG
  • z23.JPG

• celt72, Bruce Pennington, EdWolf and 1 other like this
Neil

#167 PNSSHOGUN

PNSSHOGUN

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 893 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:38 AM

Very nice Neil, is the sword an old one?

Here's just about the nicest condition Koshirae I own:

20180729_182018.jpg 20180729_181924.jpg 20180729_182109(1).jpg

• reeder and IJASWORDS like this

John

#168 IJASWORDS

IJASWORDS

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • LocationNSW AUSTRALIA

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:51 AM

The blade is Mumei. It is in nice polish. I will have to show it to some one more knowledgeable than me to identify. 

Neil

#169 PNSSHOGUN

PNSSHOGUN

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 893 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 July 2018 - 12:16 PM

The Hamon looks Shinto, you could probably post in the General Nihonto section or see what Andrew Ickeringill thinks about it.

John

#170 Bruce Pennington

Bruce Pennington

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 894 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:01 PM

Dang, you guys! Those are both gorgeous! Thanks for the addiction fix!

#171 reeder

reeder

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:31 AM

I am still taken by the minute detail found on some Gunto. This a 1943 "98 MASAYUKI showing clearly the gilt highlighted components, and clearly the two metals (brass and copper applique) on the Kabutogane and Sarute. Probably not high class, but high quality and workmanship for WW2. 

Gunto stuff took years to be appreciated for what it is, and I for one am thankful some beautiful stuff is being preserved and cared for.  

Hey Neil, is the smith Iijima Masayuki?  Or another smith?  If it's Iijima, is it his stamped mei?  Signed mei?  Dated?  Iijima Masayuki blades always came in nice mounts.  It seemed they all had pierced tsubas and some had oversized pierced tsubas.  I think Ray had one in naval mounts for sale here a couple of years ago, but it's the only one I recall in naval mounts.

Brandon

#172 IJASWORDS

IJASWORDS

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • LocationNSW AUSTRALIA

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:15 AM

Hi Brandon, its actually MIWA MASAYUKI. 

Neil

#173 IJASWORDS

IJASWORDS

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • LocationNSW AUSTRALIA

Posted Yesterday, 09:48 AM

Thought I would share old family blade (Echizen Seiki circa 1684 papered) in Gunto mounts. Retention strap and Kuri-Gata still attached.  

Attached Thumbnails

• aa2.JPG
  • aa1.JPG
  • aa3.JPG
  • aa4.JPG

• Bruce Pennington and PNSSHOGUN like this
Neil

#174 PNSSHOGUN

PNSSHOGUN

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 893 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted Today, 07:02 AM

Something you don't see everyday; all four major tassel types. The Colonels sword has an aluminium Saya, all have high quality Koshirae. No doubt a few of you have this setup already but it's been a personal milestone of collecting to have all four on high quality examples.

20180821_144637.jpg 20180821_144624.jpg

• IJASWORDS likes this

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq